Top Public Sector
The Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration at GWThe Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration at GW
Welcome to the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration. I am very proud of our supportive and engaging community of faculty, students, staff and alumni.
We welcome students with wide-ranging backgrounds and interests, and offer graduate programs that embrace multiple perspectives and practical knowledge to prepare students for active and reflective engagement in local, national, and global policy and governance. All three of our degree programs offer rigorous multi-disciplinary curricula that prepare students for careers in federal, state, and local governments; nonprofit, academic, and research organizations; and international organizations.
The Trachtenberg School faculty are committed to effective teaching and active scholarship to serve the public interest and enhance the quality of democratic governance. Faculty members, students and alumni contribute to the debates surrounding important national and international policy issues.
Six pillars support our community:
- Leadership. Cultivating leadership in public service is a fundamental objective of the Trachtenberg School. Opportunities for leadership are available through the student associations, MPAA and PPSA, and the student journal, Policy Perspectives. In addition, faculty advising and mentoring fosters growth in students and strengthens our community.
- Service. Service is an integral part of the Trachtenberg School community, with students and faculty participating in a wide variety of outreach efforts. Our faculty and students regularly provide valuable research and evaluation assistance pro bono to the District of Columbia and federal government agencies, nonprofits, international organizations, and other public organizations throughout the metropolitan Washington, DC area to improve the community and public services offered to citizens. And Trachtenberg School students have tutored students at the Anacostia Senior High School for over two decades.
- Collaboration. Students work closely with nationally and internationally recognized faculty on research both in the classroom and in research institutes affiliated with the Trachtenberg School, such as The George Washington Institute of Public Policy (GWIPP) and the Center for Washington Areas Studies (CWAS).
- Professional Development. An extensive array of career development activities are offered by the Trachtenberg School to help students take maximum advantage of the numerous internship and development opportunities available to them.
- Policy relevant research. Students have the opportunity to specialize in a diverse set of public administration and policy fields. Based upon the visibility of our faculty research, many of these fields rank in the top 20 by US News and World Report, including public administration and management, public policy analysis, public finance and budgeting, and health policy and management.
- Flexibility. Our programs offer the same classes for both working professionals and students seeking an interdisciplinary approach to public policy and administration. Most of our students are working, either in internships or in full-time positions, and we have designed our curricula with this in mind. And while our School is the focal point for public policy in the university, there are many other programs offering courses pertinent to our students’ interests across the many schools at GW.
I am proud to be part of a community of scholars who maintain the highest standards in research, teaching, and service and who care deeply about teaching and advising our next generation of leaders and scholars. I encourage you to learn more about life in and outside the classroom at the Trachtenberg School by visiting our website or scheduling a visit to meet with us in the heart of Washington, DC.
Kathryn E. Newcomer Director, Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration Professor of Public Policy and Public Administration