TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY EXAM NUMBER
Y5568L FILING START DATE
September 23, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. (PT) - Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department.ABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES:
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. Through its integrated system of 25 health centers and four hospitals - and expanded network of community partner clinics - DHS annually provides direct care for over 600,000 unique patients, employs over 23,000 staff, and has an annual budget of over $6.9 billion. For additional information regarding DHS please visit www.dhs.lacounty.gov
.Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition, to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing.
To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care.DEFINITION:
Performs a full range of diagnostic pulmonary function examinations to measure the pulmonary physiological capacities of adult and pediatric patients in inpatient and outpatient settings.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs full range of pulmonary function tests, as requested by a physician, such as closing volumes, static compliance, oxygen desaturation, cardio-pulmonary exercise studies, methacholine challenge, and CO2 or O2 response to measure the effect of exercise induced stress on oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production, and the amount of physiological dead space in lungs; obtains valid, replicated results in accordance with established laboratory testing procedures and regulatory guidelines.
- Participates in the performance of polysomnographic studies to diagnose sleep disorders when assigned to a Sleep Laboratory.
- Conducts shunt studies to determine the pulmonary oxygenation efficiency of patients in intensive care units according to established laboratory procedures.
- Sets up and calibrates equipment using precision gas mixtures or other methods to ensure equipment complies with regulatory testing guidelines.
- Performs quality control tests on equipment according to established laboratory procedures to ensure equipment complies with regulatory testing guidelines; records result in laboratory database or manual quality control log.
- Prioritizes patients and samples to be tested under the direction of a higher-level technologist or supervisor and verifies that arterial and venous samples correspond to the patient.
- Performs special procedures, including administering bronchodilators or oxygen during pulmonary testing, or drawing arterial or venous blood samples and compliance testing, according to established laboratory procedures.
- Performs analysis of arterial and/or venous blood gas samples by operating electronic and mechanical equipment; examines specimens for rejection criteria and verifies patient identification before performing testing and analysis.
- Analyzes tests results by applying normal, abnormal, and/or critical values for tests performed and reports critical values or problems with the sample or test to the appropriate medical staff; records all test results and notes the effort made by the patient and enters information into the pulmonary physiology laboratory computer system; generates reports and graphics as requested.
- Performs minor preventive maintenance and troubleshooting of laboratory equipment in accordance with laboratory guidelines and reports performance issues to a higher-level technologist or supervisor for resolution; records results of the preventive maintenance in maintenance log.
- Assists, as directed, in on-the-job training of students and technologists in the performance of respiratory studies and related pulmonary procedures involving acute patients.
- Keeps laboratory areas and equipment clean and orderly in accordance with approved infection control, laboratory, and hospital procedures.
- Replenishes laboratory solutions and supplies as necessary.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Two (2) years of experience performing respiratory and/or pulmonary procedures, including one year of experience at the level of a Pulmonary Physiology Technologist I*. LICENSE AND CERTIFICATIONS:
PHYSICAL CLASS II - Light:
- A current California State Respiratory Care Practitioner's License** issued by the Respiratory Care Board of California. (If a County employee is assigned to a Sleep Laboratory and does not have a current California State Respiratory Care Practitioner's License issued by the Respiratory Care Board of California, he or she must maintain registration as a polysomnographic technologist, technician, or trainee with the Medical Board of California.)
- A current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare providers (CPR & AED) program certification issued by the American Heart Association**.
- A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10-pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Pulmonary Physiology Technologist I in the County of Los Angeles is defined as:
Performs standard diagnostic pulmonary function examinations to measure basic breathing capacities and lung volume of adult and pediatric patients in inpatient and outpatient settings. **
Applicants must attach a photocopy of the required license and certificate to your application at the time of filing online, or email to the analyst within fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of filing your application online. Applications submitted without the required license and certification will be rejected as incomplete. The original license and certification must be presented during the selection process and prior the appointment.
All required licenses and certifications must be active and unrestricted or your application will not be accepted.SPECIALTY REQUIREMENTS:
Current credential as one of the following may be required if assigned to a Sleep Laboratory:
- Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT) by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists
- Registered Sleep Technologist (RST) by the American Board of Sleep Medicine
- Certified Pulmonary Function Technologist (CPFT) by the National Board for Respiratory Care
- Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist (RPFT) by the National Board for Respiratory Care
- Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) by the National Board for Respiratory Care
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) by the National Board for Respiratory Care
Additional credit will be given to applicants who have additional years of experience at the level of Pulmonary Physiology Technologist I* - in excess of the Selection Requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of experience based upon the application information, desirable qualifications, and supplemental questionnaire, weighted 100%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination to be added onto the eligible register.
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.
Appointees may be required to work any shift including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
You may be required to verify your email address before the application can be submitted by entering a six-digit code sent to your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.Utilizing VERBIAGE
from Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
NOTE: If you are unable to attach required documents, you can email the documents to the exam analyst, Christina Roy, at firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.
For the foreseeable future, all notices including invitation letters, result letters and notices of non-acceptance will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail. Please note, if you opt out of receiving emails, you can visit governmentjobs.com, log into your profile and check your inbox. The inbox retains a copy of all emails sent, for your records
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
LA County Public Library has announced they are reopening some libraries with limited hours access throughout LA County. Refer to their website at https://lacountylibrary.org/reopening/
for more information.For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed .
Christina Roy, Exam Analyst
Phone: (213) 288-7000ADA COORDINATOR PHONE:(323) 914-7111
CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:(800) 735-2922