The purpose of this position is to manage and coordinate the design and construction of park facilities. This is accomplished by reviewing and/or designing parks, recreation facilities and or landscape improvements for the park system, public right-of-ways, and community buildings; providing project management; facilitating project development; and planning for policy and management. Other duties include managing grant applications and grant administration; formulating RFPs and RFQs; negotiating and preparing agreements with consultants; in the field inspections, interpretation of plans, and interacting with other City employees, public officials and citizens.Essential Job Functions
- Performs construction administration by writing agreements; preparing City Council communications; conducting project meetings; preparing change orders; resolving conflicts; reviewing submittals; and performing inspections.
- Provides project management by overseeing projects from design through construction including payment to consultants and/or contractors; and performing contract negotiations.
- Facilitates project development by providing cost estimating programming; completing reconnaissance including social, financial, political, and psychographics; providing analysis/synthesis of conceptual design; performing schematic design; developing design; presenting to citizens and City Council; and reviewing construction and bid documents.
- Plans for policy and management by evaluating and designing park master plans; preparing or assisting in pre-paring plans and city ordinances including those for planning as well as construction specifications; managing grant applications and grant administration.
- Completes pre contract and pre project activities by formulating RFPs and RFQs; negotiating and preparing agreements with consultants.
- Ability to prepare conceptual design plans including a strong graphic ability with digital platforms to convey ideas and concepts to leadership, staff and citizens.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Planning, Parks and Recreation, Landscape Architecture or related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in Planning, Parks and Recreation, Landscape Architecture or Construction Management.
- Advanced AutoCAD skills preferred.
- Must be able to provide detailed work samples.
- Valid Texas Class C Driver's License
- Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents. Ordinarily, such education is obtained at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to apply fundamental concepts of theories, work with advanced mathematical operations methods, and functions of real and complex variables. Ordinarily, such education is obtained at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write editorials, journals, speeches, manuals, or critiques. Ordinarily, such education is obtained at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Receives limited direction: The employee normally performs the duty assignment according to his or her own judgment, requesting supervisory assistance only when necessary. The assignment may be reviewed upon completion. Performance is reviewed periodically.
- Does research for documents, compiles data for computer entry, and/or enters or oversees data entry. Has responsibility for monitoring budget expenditures (typically non-discretionary expenditures) for a work unit of less than department size (programs, activities, projects or small organizational units). (Supervisors)
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, or temporary employees.
- Work is governed by broad instructions, objectives and policies. Requires the exercise of considerable initiative and independent analytical and evaluative judgment.
- Recommendations regarding policy development and implementation are made and/or recommended. Evaluates customer satisfaction, develops cooperative associations, and utilizes resources to continuously improve customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge in Parks Planning and Project Development and Coordination and construction methodology.
- Read and understand blueprints; good verbal communication skills with a wide variety of people from contractors, citizens, architects, staff, Parks Board and many others; writing contracts; skill in delivering World Class Service to customers with aggressive friendliness and enthusiasm, by anticipating what they need and want, and delivering it with care, concern and pride.
- Ability to manage and complete projects from inception to completion; ability to work independently and to analyze conditions in the field to make sound decisions; ability to analyze construction documents and supervise field projects; ability to assist the department in developing world class parks systems. Surveying skills a plus.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous