Salary: $41,338.00 - $55,805.00 Annually USD
General Description: This is a skilled technical position. The incumbent performs routine and complex tasks, inspecting buildings and construction for compliance with the building code and other laws and ordinances. Types of inspections include building construction, plumbing/mechanical, and electrical.
Organization: The Building Inspector position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Inspector Ladder has four levels ranging from Building Inspector I to Building Inspector - Senior. Incumbents report to the Assistant Chief Building Official and supervise no staff. Senior Inspectors may provide workflow guidance to lower level Inspectors.
• Visits construction sites to perform inspections in at least one inspection
• Documents work and files necessary reports.
• Receives and processes inquiries and/or complaints from the public
regarding construction-related matters.
• Reviews construction plans for compliance with the building code, when
• Approves applications for building permits, when needed.
• Issues warnings and stop-work orders, when needed.
• Testifies in court during code violation cases.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• Conditions - Potential danger around construction sites
• 20% Office
• 80% Field - May work outside during adverse weather conditions
C. Physical Effort
• Driving, walking, climbing and crawling are necessary to perform essential
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Thorough knowledge of building construction methods, materials and practices - required. Knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, preferred. Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and blueprints quickly and accurately, required. Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, contractors and other staff.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent required and post secondary training in building, electrical, and/or plumbing trades preferred - OR - Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable. Higher levels on the Career Ladder require additional education, experience, training and certifications. Related experience required as follows: 3 years @ level I, 4 years @ level II, 5 years @ level III, and 6 years @ the Senior level.
• Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting Valid Commonwealth of
Virginia Driver's License
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
• Certification in accordance with the Virginia Certification Standards is
required within one (1) year of employment
• Twelve-month probationary period
• Work beyond normal work schedule
Revision Date: October 2021
Closing Date/Time: Continuous