The purpose of this position is to supervise work projects, oversee staff, and work crews in the operation, maintenance, and repair of various facilities. This is accomplished by supervising staff and work crews; ensuring project work is completed; and completing administrative duties. Other duties include responding to citizen inquiries or complaints; and completing departmentally specific functions. Essential Job Functions
- Supervises staff and work crews by assigning work duties; prioritizing work activities; observing and monitoring work tasks; conducting performance evaluations; approving leave requests; providing training as needed; conducting staff meetings; and providing advice or assistance as needed.
- Ensures operations and project work are completed by coordinating and scheduling contractors/activities; monitoring field operations; inspecting work completed; ensuring equipment is inspected and maintained, meeting all safety and environmental requirements; ensuring equipment and adequate materials are supplied to crews; ensuring the safety of employees through appropriate operating procedures; investigating complaints from citizens and other customers; and providing assistance on and resolution of work problems.
- Completes administrative duties by requisitioning materials and supplies; preparing documentation for and monitoring the budget; assisting/developing equipment and materials specifications and bids; recording and completing service requests and work activities orders; compiling various reports for management as well as various federal and state regulating entities; responding to emails; returning phone calls; attending meetings; and ensuring the proper payment of contractors; and responding to citizen inquiries or complaints.
- Completes departmentally specific functions by setting up and organizing special events; monitoring infrastructure projects; maintaining specific operations such as parks maintenance and administering Human Resource policies and procedures.
- Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with six months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Junior college, vocational, business, technical or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
- Four years progressively responsible experience in the operations of mowing, landscaping & supervising crews. At least two years supervisory experience required of the four. Contract administration for mowing experience preferred.
- Requires a valid Texas Class C Driver's License.
- Pesticide Applicator's License, Landscape Irrigator License Preferred.
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. The employee may choose the appropriate procedure or policy. Performance is reviewed periodically.
- Prepares budget documents; and does research to justify language used in documents for a unit or division of a department. May recommend budget allocations. Does research for documents, complies data for computer entry, and/or enters or oversees data entry. (Secretary, clerks, admin. Some level of budget responsibility but only in data input.)
- Work requires supervising and monitoring performance for a regular group of employees or a work unit including providing input on hiring/disciplinary actions and work objectives/effectiveness, performance evaluations, and realigning work as needed. A first line supervisor typically performs these functions.
- Work is governed by broad instructions, objectives and policies. Requires the exercise of considerable initiative and independent analytical and evaluative judgment.
- Work may require providing advice to others outside direct reporting relationships on specific problems or general policies. Contacts may require the consideration of different points of view to reach agreement. Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous