Under close supervision, responds to emergency and non-emergency calls for service, identifies and dispatches appropriate law enforcement, fire and emergency service units, and gathers and relays critical information; complies with Police and Fire Department policies and procedures to assure the safety of officers and the public.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Answers incoming emergency and non-emergency calls; interviews callers and gathers details; prioritizes calls for service and determines appropriate personnel to respond; dispatches emergency responders; relays pertinent information to law enforcement and emergency services officers in a concise manner; provides information and assistance to the public within scope of authority.
- Provides detailed call information to officers as needed; maintains status and awareness of Police patrol unit locations; monitors message traffic and relays information to officers.
- Enters emergency assistance calls into the computer aided dispatch (CAD) incident logs; inputs information into the ACJIS & NCIC computer system; maintains records and files.
- Contacts other law enforcement agencies for additional information and resources as needed, and relays pertinent information regarding incidents.
- Notifies key City of Buckeye personnel on critical incidents; follows all Department policies and procedures to assure that officer and public safety is the top priority.
- Enters and verifies warrant information, and confirms warrants for other agencies.
- Performs inquiries and criminal history checks for officers through ACJIS & NCIC; sends inquiries to other agencies for warrant confirmations or general information.
- Enters data for records and reports; processes forms and record files; queries system databases as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED equivalent. Must have a minimum of one (1) year experience as a dispatcher in a law enforcement agency AND
one (1) year of clerical and computer experience required. Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:Knowledge of:
- City policies and procedures.
- Equipment utilized in law enforcement communications including radio, computer and dispatch equipment.
- Law enforcement patrol procedures.
- Local geographical area, road systems, and the locations of landmarks.
- Police and Fire Departments' standard dispatch policies and procedures.
- Basic principles of record keeping and records management.
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously, under pressure, and in emergency and stressful situations.
- Obtaining information from hostile or emotional citizens.
- Communicating clearly and concisely and relaying details accurately.
- Remembering names, numbers and locations, and reading maps quickly and accurately.
- Working under pressure of deadlines, and establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with employees, officials, other agencies and the general public.
- Public relations and customer service.
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
Must obtain Terminal Operator Certification Level A within six months of hire if not possessed at time of hire/placement. Must be able to type a minimum of 35 words per minute. Working nights, weekends and holidays is required.
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous