General Description This position is open until filled with a first applications review date of November 1, 2021.
Irvine Ranch Water District is accepting applications for a Community Relations Manager. The successful candidate will report to the Director of Strategic Communications and Advocacy/Deputy General Counsel and under general direction , this individual will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the District's community relations program.
IRWD's community relations program is one of the key components of the District's overall public policy engagement and communications strategy. It is a primary element in the District's ongoing policy leadership at the local level.
This position is responsible for building and sustaining relationships between IRWD and community leaders, groups, and stakeholders across the District's service area so that they know IRWD, have direct contact and interaction with IRWD, and recognize IRWD as a community partner, resource, and water / wastewater infrastructure policy and service leader by:
Summary of Duties
- Strategically creating a more visible and active IRWD community presence within the District's service area and Orange County;
- Engaging and building strong relationships with community groups, regional associations, and local community leaders;
- Initiating outreach to key segments of the Orange County community and IRWD's service area that are less familiar with the District;
- Coordinating with other IRWD departments on strategic communications so that these communications properly address and reach segments of the community less familiar with the District; and
- Directing the District's speakers bureau program and IRWD Community Facilities Program.
Community Presence and Stakeholder Engagement: Develop and maintain a strong community relations and engagement strategy, which cultivates positive relationships for the District with the communities it serves and the stakeholders it works with. Build strong relationships with members of the community, key individuals, and other Orange County organizations (e.g., Rotary Clubs, Exchange Club of Irvine, etc.) across IRWD's service area and the county. Be a principal ambassador for IRWD within the community.
Local and Regional Associations: Increase and maintain IRWD's presence and participation within regional associations serving as an IRWD staff representative to local and regional associations and groups including, but not limited to, the Association of California Cities - Orange County, Asian Business Association of Orange County, Black Chamber of Commerce, canyon community groups, COAST, Fire Safe Council, Greater Irvine Chamber of Commerce, ISDOC, Lake Forest Chamber of Commerce, League of California Cities / Cal Cities, Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce, Orange County Business Council (Infrastructure Committee & backup on Gov't Affairs Committee), Orange County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Orange County Taxpayers Association, South Orange County Economic Coalition, Sustain OC, Tustin Chamber of Commerce, and WACO.
Local Government Outreach: Coordinate and implement, in partnership with the Director of Strategic Communications and Advocacy/Deputy General Counsel, the District's ongoing local government relations outreach and advocacy program. On behalf of the District, act as a local government liaison for the County of Orange, cities, special districts, building relationships and working together on policy issues and projects of mutual interest. Coordinate meetings of IRWD Board members and management with local elected officials. Develop and sustain strong relationships with County, city and special district staff. As needed, monitor local governance proceedings (e.g., council meetings, water agencies) of interest to IRWD.
Strategic Communications: Produce presentations and outreach communications as needed specific to the community relations program. Arrange, prepare and deliver presentations and tours to various industry groups, community, civic groups, and other stakeholders. Coordinate larger strategic communications outreach efforts on behalf of the District including larger capital projects, District polices and other initiatives.
Department Activities: Assist with other activities of the Strategic Communications and Advocacy Department, as appropriate. Run the District's Speakers Bureau, and Community Facilities Program. Manage IRWD's exhibit and booth presence at various events and manage association memberships and events sponsorships on behalf of the District. Supervise direct reports and assign and monitor tasks. Assist with preparation of the annual budget and prepare specifications.
Other Responsibilities : Proactively establish and maintain relationships and communications with other departments, water industry groups, and public agencies in efforts to promote and implement the District's priorities. Effectively and regularly communicate with District management and Board of Directors. Various strategic, policy projects and coordination.
Attend public and other outside meetings and functions on behalf of the District, including on nights and weekends. Participate in community events, tours, and trips at night and on weekends as necessary.
Supervise employees reporting to this position, serve in the Emergency Operations Center during emergencies, and serve in other duties as assigned.
Perform other duties of a similar nature or level as required.
Comply with District safety work-related practices and attend relevant safety training. Qualifications Education:
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in public policy, communication, public administration, political science, journalism, public relations, or a related field required. For degrees obtained outside of the U.S., an official equivalency evaluation is required.
- Five years of experience in a community relations position with demonstrated ability to manage people, relationships, and projects.
- Three years of supervisory experience and water industry experience is desirable.
- Local government policies, operations and procedures
- Communications and public relations principles and outreach strategies
License and Certifications:
- Copy writing, business writing and editing principles.
- Budget preparation and administration - basic knowledge
- Research techniques and strategies
Additional Information How to Apply: Click here
- Valid Class 'C' California Driver's License
to submit an online job application.
For a complete job description, click here .
For more information regarding our benefits, click here .
Closing Date/Time: Continuous