***Please note that interviews may be conducted periodically throughout this continuous recruitment period based on the needs of the City, and the posting may be closed without notice ***
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering.
Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.About The Position
Works in the field recording water meter readings, locating and uncovering water meters, cleaning out debris and any accumulated water from meter boxes and reporting metering abnormalities. Selection Process:
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of this position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include oral board interview and skills assessment. Final selection is contingent upon a background check which includes:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Drug Testing
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
to view the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time. Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- A High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the required knowledge and abilities.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date. The Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles requires that out-of-state driver's licenses must be surrendered within 10 days of relocating to the State of Arizona.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Simple arithmetic calculations.
- Basic computer operations/navigation.
- Traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in motor vehicle operation.
- Microsoft Windows Office products.
- Change out/setting and/or install meters.
- Read written instructions, write legibly, understand verbal instruction, make simple computations, complete daily work assignments and transpose numbers accurately.
- Deal with situations such as upset customers and meter tampering.
- Provide field customer service activities related to new service, service suspensions, service cancelations, high bill complaints, flow checks, and/or other related issues.
- Read and interpret street and aerial maps to locate routes and water meters.
- Refer citizens to appropriate customer service personnel for problem/complaint resolution.
- Learn and use geography and street locations of the City.
- Make mathematical calculations and draw logical conclusions.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Reads meters, records water meter readings and meter condition codes in a hand-held computer.
- Locates and reads buried or flooded meters.
- Cleans meter boxes.
- Turns water meters on or off in prescribed manner.
- Changes out water meters of all sizes in various conditions, including testing and flooding water lines.
- Operates truck mounted vacuum for meter box cleaning or excavation.
- Tests water meters.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Seldom sedentary and includes walking or moving for extended periods and long distances.
- Bend and stoop repeatedly.
- Use hand tool to lift and move meter box lid weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Walks for long distances, bends and stoops repeatedly, uses hand tool to lift and removes and replaces meter box lid, walks to next box or vehicle, drives from meter location to meter location and exits and enters the vehicle repeatedly.
- Properly maintains and safely operates a City motor vehicle utilizing both unleaded fuel and CNG.
- Rural meter reading routes require extensive driving and exiting and re-entering the vehicle at each meter location.
- Sit for extended periods of time while driving a City vehicle maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding area.
- Work around insects, reptiles and animals that are confronted along a route.
- Most work is performed outside or in a motor vehicle, with some work performed in a City office environment.
- Operate a motor vehicle and travel to/from various City locations.
- Work flexible hours to meet department requirements.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous