Position Scope **RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED**
Under general supervision, plans, coordinates, directs and supervises the staff and activities of one or more wastewater treatment plants.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs all wastewater plant operations and maintenance activities for wastewater treatment system and SBR wastewater treatment plant equipment;
- Analyzes primary functionality and ancillary systems, and supervises maintenance and repairs of plant systems and components.
- Ensures the safe operation of equipment, systems and facilities.
- Organizes and assigns the activities of treatment plant operators; trains new employees and ensures all subordinates follow the appropriate safety policies and procedures.
- Reviews and provides input on wastewater operational design and functions.
- Regulates flow of wastewater through plant.
- Maintains and repairs complex and technically difficult wastewater systems, equipment and components.
- Plans and manages resource allocations; ensures efficient operations and cost-effective practices; manages the collection, analysis and reporting of operational, budget and financial data; analyzes future needs and forecasts assets, equipment and resource requirements.
- Monitors and manages operations and assures that wastewater treatment plant and program activities are in compliance with all laws, regulations, policies and safety standards.
- Reviews wastewater maintenance trends and issues, and recommends operational improvements.
- Requisitions and purchases materials, parts and supplies.
- Assists in the development and management of budgets, policies, projects and programs.
- Develops, implements and monitors contracts for the operation of wastewater treatment plants.
- Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public.
- Responds to plant emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements
Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science, Chemistry or related field, and five(5) years' experience in Wastewater programs, including two(2) years supervisory experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:Knowledge:
- Federal, state, county and local laws pertaining to operation of wastewater collection and treatment facilities.
- City policies and procedures.
- Principles and processes of wastewater treatment.
- Functions and servicing requirements of wastewater plant machinery and equipment including SBR equipment and SCADA systems.
- Wastewater facilities planning and management methods.
- Principles of record keeping and records management.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Performing a variety of wastewater treatment plant maintenance and operation activities.
- Coordinating staff, and delegating tasks.
- Reading and understanding blue prints, technical documents and electrical schematics.
- Promoting and enforcing safe work practices.
- Establishing cooperative working relationships with employees and City staff.
- Effective oral and written communication.
Additional Information Special Requirements:
Possession of a valid Arizona Driver's License; Grade 4 Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's certification, collection certifications from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.Physical Demands / Work Environment:
Work is performed outdoors and wastewater facilities.Reports To:
Water Resources Superintendent or designeeSupervision Exercised:
Wastewater treatment plant operatorsFLSA Status:
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous