Salary: $50,361.00 - $100,901.00 Annually USD
Hanover County Information Technology is seeking a motivated Networking Professional to join our Network Support Team. This position requires a full spectrum of networking and IT skills ranging from end user connectivity to core data center routing and switching. As part of the Networking Team you will work in a fast-paced environment that provides leading edge technology solutions for County operations. We offer limited telework schedules, an optional flex working schedule and opportunities for advancement and growth.
General Description: This is a professional position that requires expertise in a specific technology area (depending on assignment: network services, server support, business application support, web support, or service desk/desktop). The incumbent is responsible for: developing customer-focused, business-appropriate solutions in a cross-functional team environment; and applying analytical and problem-solving skills to identify and resolve issues in order to help maximize the benefit of IT systems investments. ITD has five specializations for this position: Network, Server, Service Desk/Desktop, Applications Support and Web Developer. Organization: The Systems Engineer position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Systems Engineer Ladder has four (4) levels: Systems Engineer I, II, III and Senior. Incumbents normally report to a Project Manager and supervise no staff, though they may lead teams.
• Performs problem-solving and analysis, including incident management, problem management and root cause analysis.
• Has a knowledge of the customer's business, as appropriate for the specified area of specialization. Leverages knowledge to develop customer-focused, business-appropriate solutions. Engages stakeholders in solution development.
• Communicates effectively with customers and team members.
• Vendor management. Works closely with vendors to develop solutions that meet customer needs; effectively escalate and resolve issues with vendors. Gain strategic insights from vendors.
• Develops and manages appropriate documentation.
• Systems implementation and systems management. Has working knowledge of relevant standards, protocols and languages used within domain of assignment and applies these to develop appropriate solutions.
• Manages work and priorities and utilizes project management practices.
• Stays current in developments within the specified area of specialization and proactively researches trends.
• Manages personal growth and development.
• Adheres to the department's change management standards.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Assignment-Specific Essential Functions:
• Network Services:
o Performs fault isolation, repair and analysis of the various network components and systems used to support the County Information Technology enterprise.
o Configures, operates and maintains Cisco Integrated Service Routers and Cisco IOS as well as a firm understanding of general routing concepts, standards and protocols.
o Configures, operates and maintains Layer2 and multilayer switching in an enterprise environment.
o Configures, operates and maintains firewalls in the enterprise.
o Configures, operates and maintains unified and autonomous wireless infrastructure in the enterprise environment.
o Configures, operates and maintains LAN to LAN and remote access VPN installations, software and hardware.
o Integrates multi-vendor network equipment and systems using open standards.
o Manages authentication and authorization functions including RADIUS and TACACS policy configuration and application.
o Uses tools and resources to monitor and maintain the integrity and performance of the enterprise network.
o Understands the relationship between core infrastructure services, desktop and server operating systems.
A. Hazards: None known
B. Environment: Office, field. Travel for support, training and conferences.
C. Must perform regular, periodic on-call duties and beyond normal work schedule to resolve critical issues and system upgrades. Includes evenings, weekends and holidays.
D. Physical effort: Moderate - lifts supplies and equipment (PCs, network equipment, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Strong customer service orientation. Requires solid general knowledge of Information Technology industry and best practices and expertise in area of assignment. Excellent analytical ability; creative problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills. Excellent oral and written communications skills. Communication must be proactive, timely and audience appropriate. Ability to work independently and use independent judgment. Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks and assignment. Adept at working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Education, Experience and Training: Four years' college education required with a Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field preferred. Relevant experience in specific area of expertise, depending on area of assignment, required. - OR - Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
• Criminal Records check, including fingerprinting
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
• Twelve month probationary period
• Rotational on-call after-hours support (including evenings, weekends, holidays).
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume with this application.
If you are selected for this position, a copy of your degree will be required.
Preferred candidates will have:
- Proven experience with Routing and Switching, Network Security principals, VPN technologies, and wireless networking in a multi-vendor environment.
- Proven experience with Cisco networking and hardware solutions.
- Working knowledge of network fault isolation and remediation and firewall concepts.
- Knowledge of Windows Server Operating Systems, Virtual Networking, Certificate Services, VPN technologies and solutions, or Dell FTOS/DNOS.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous