Johnson County Wastewater is looking for qualified applicants to fillthe position ofTreatment Crew Member I at the Middle Basin and Tomahawk plant locations. Position opening is for first shift.ScheduleisMonday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. This position isfocused on various operations and maintenance tasks which provide opportunities for learning, growth, and career development in a hands-on values and team based work environment. Johnson County offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, retirement programs, tuition reimbursement, and various discounts and incentives. The tasks completed and those working in this position have an impact onthe Wastewater Departmentmission of protecting the environment, serving our customers, and enhancing our communities. This job will remain opened until filled .
Job duties include the following:
- Inspects and documents plant and pump station processes to ensure proper operations and detect common equipment failures by reading and interpreting information provided by the SCADA system, visual observations of tanks and tests, and other instrumentation; monitors telemetry equipment to identify alarms during heavy rain events and emergency operations; carries on-call duty phone or pager to respond to alarms and other needs during off hours; works weekend shifts either independently for more routine operation functions or with other crew members when more advanced operations or maintenance functions are needed.
- Performs specific laboratory analysis for compliance by collecting samples and using standard methods and techniques; performs microscopic examination of samples for types and quantities of micro-organisms.
- Under direct supervision, assists in performing preventative and general maintenance on assigned equipment by adjusting and troubleshooting a variety of complex pumps, valves, motors and other equipment required to maintain appropriate operations; assists with the repair or replacement of a variety of piping and other infrastructure or equipment.
- Maintains and updates operational and maintenance records, logs and databases; performs and records routine mathematical calculations related to plant operational activities.
- Works with the public and other customers by assisting haulers/tankers, delivery drivers, and vendors/contractors; responds to routine questions and complaints from the general public and escalates more complex requests, questions, or concerns.
High school diploma or equivalent; one year of experience in a mechanical, maintenance, or vocational trade such as HVAC, electrical, plumbing, or a science field in the areas of biology, microbiology, or chemistry; a driver's license; and an acceptable driving record are required. This position is a safety sensitive job requiring exposure to extreme temperatures, fumes, chemicals, heights, loud noises, confined space, and raw sewage. Excessive standing and walking, lifting of 50 pounds without assistance, carrying 35 pounds, push, pull and grip at various heights both horizontal and vertical of up to 75 pounds, climbing steps and ladders, reaching overhead, balancing, crouching, bending, kneeling, crawling, sitting, and trunk rotation are also required.
Vo-Tech training or certification in HVAC, plumbing, electrical, or other relevant field; Associate's degree in Chemistry, Biology, Math, or other relevant field; and one year of experience in a mechanical, maintenance, or vocational trade in a water or wastewater field are preferred.
Johnson County Government requires reference/background screening for all positions. Specified criteria may vary by Department/Agency. Physical, Environmental, and Special Working Conditions:
All County employees may be called upon to assist other departments/agencies in a declared emergency situation.
Intermediate (5% to 25%)
Engineering, Transportation, and Infrastructure