COMMUNITY HEALTH ASSISTANT III
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public
for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST)
on the day the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is being held to establish an open
eligible list to fill current and future Community Health Assistant III vacancies within the Health Care Agency. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. THE AGENCY
The County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of five (5) service areas - Administrative and Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Regulatory & Medical Services, and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. THE DEPARTMENT
Through assessment, policy development and assurance, Public Health Services
provides a wide range of services aimed at reducing death and disability by reducing the transmission of communicable diseases, preventing and lessening the impact of chronic diseases, and ensuring healthy and safe environments. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Community Health Assistant III is responsible for the implementation of outreach and breastfeeding promotion and support per Federal and State requirements. This position is primarily funded by the Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
Supplemental Nutrition Program. Job duties include, but are not limited to:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- Determine eligibility for the WIC Program by screening and enrolling applicants and re-certifying clients using prescribed protocols
- Prepare and provide direct education individually, nutrition/breastfeeding classes to WIC participants in small or large groups, as well as promote online education classes
- Prescribe food packages and issue benefits to WIC participants
- Provide referrals to other health and social services, and develop care plans for low-risk participants
- Develop care plans for low-risk participants which includes, reviewing immunizations for up-to-date status, taking hemoglobin readings using non-invasive screening methods
- Assist Nutritionists with interpretation of WIC regulations to clients and to other clinic staff
- Provide breastfeeding education, support and promotion to group education and individualized breastfeeding counseling to WIC participants experiencing breastfeeding problems , issue manual and electric breast pumps and conducting follow-ups
- Conduct WIC outreach and breastfeeding education and promotion to local health providers, community organizations, worksites and other venues to enhance awareness of WIC breastfeeding support services
- Implement strategies as defined by California Department of Public Health (CDPH) WIC's requirements and responsibilities of the Local Agency Regional Breastfeeding Liaison (RBL) and Action Plan to meet statewide goals and objectives. These include but are not limited to:
- Narrow breastfeeding support gaps by working with hospitals, health care providers, breastfeeding coalitions, employers, community stakeholders and WIC
- Focus on strategies for improving WIC breastfeeding initiation and duration rates
- Increase referrals from community health care organizations and partners to WIC and WIC breastfeeding services throughout Orange County
The ideal candidate will possess three (3) or more years of experience working with adults, women, infants and children. The ideal candidate may also possess a WIC Nutrition Assistant (WNA) Certification and be a Certified Lactation Educator. An equivalent Community Health Education certificate is also acceptable. Bilingual skill in Spanish or Vietnamese is highly desirable for this position. In addition to the above, the ideal candidate will possess the following competencies:WIC and Breastfeeding Knowledge | Experience
Relationship Building | Interpersonal Skills
- Determining client eligibility for the WIC program by enrolling or recertifying clients
- Staying apprised of changes in Federal and State WIC and State Nutrition Assistance Program-Ed (SNAP-Ed) regulations in order to maintain compliance for WIC and SNAP-Ed eligible participants
- Entering participant information into the WIC data system using a computer with accuracy
- Knowledge of and the ability to educate on the basics and health benefits of breastfeeding
- Ability to address and provide guidance to resolve common issues experienced by breastfeeding parents to support continuation of breastfeeding
Oral | Written Communication Skills
- Forming and maintaining a positive & professional image of the HCA - WIC Program by establishing a strong trust and creating a positive rapport with the WIC participants, partners, and community
- Providing customer service to clients/customers
- Establishing and cultivating effective working and relationships with various staff members, community agencies, and resources
- Exhibiting diplomacy and skills in community organization and collaboration
- Communicating effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing with individuals who may be facing medical, socioeconomic challenges, as well as, external and internal partners within the Agency
- Presenting nutrition and breastfeeding information that actively engages the audience in WIC clinics, health care provider offices, community centers and other venues
- Catering presentations and information that are culturally appropriate to various communities of socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds
- Utilizing a variety of computer programs to disseminate information, develop presentations and promote key breastfeeding messages
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Community Health Assistant II
I classification as well as the physical and mental requirements and the environmental and working conditions. PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENT, ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS Physical Requirements
The County of Orange is committed to providing a means for applicants who may have a disability to identify areas in which they may request a reasonable accommodation. The following is a description of the physical and mental abilities, which are customarily required to perform the essential job functions of this position. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Recruiter for any questions or to request an accommodation during the testing/selection process.
Possess vision sufficient to read standard text, blueprints and a computer monitor and to drive a vehicle; speak and hear well enough to communicate clearly and understandably in person to individuals and groups and over the telephone; possess body mobility sufficient to frequently walk over uneven terrain and to stand, sit, bend, stoop, twist at the waist and frequently turn the neck up and down and side to side; possess manual dexterity to operate keyboards and write. Some assignments require ability to lift 30 lbs.
Possess the ability to independently reason logically to analyze data, reach conclusions and make recommendations and decisions; possess the ability to remain calm and appropriately focused in difficult interpersonal situations involving diverse interests, conflict and firm deadlines.Environmental Conditions
Will be required to: work in an office and field environment, where a high level of noise is present; drive to community sites and to meetings; work some evenings, weekends; some sites are fixed and others require set-up. Must be able to work at different sites with little advance notice. Must be flexible to work collaboratively outside of normal business hours, including early morning and evening and some weekends. Recruitment Process
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening(Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Online Assessments (Weighted 100%)
Applicants who meet desirable qualifications will be invited to participate in a series of online examinations related to the essential job functions. The most successful candidates will be placed on an eligible list. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. Eligible List
Once the assessment process has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.Veterans Employment Preference Policy (VEPP)
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.Email Notification Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact John Duckson at (714) 834-3119 or firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous