JOB SUMMARYThis position is open until filled, with next review of applications on May 2, 2022. JOB SUMMARY
Plans, coordinates, and manages the operations and activities of the City's Building Inspection Division; serves as the Division's chief plan reviewer; evaluates construction plans/specifications for regulatory compliance; responds to public inquiries regarding the building permit process and related requirements; and supervises assigned personnel.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS 1. Oversees and coordinates the Building Inspection Division's daily operations including inspections/field activities, building permit processing and office administration.
2. Communicates with contractors, architects, and the public regarding building permit applications and requirements for proposed construction projects.
- Assigns, monitors and coordinates work through the InspectionAnywhere web-based system
- Coordinates inspections of residential and commercial sites
- Inspects large and complex construction projects for conformance with specs and regulations
- Maps annual projected inspection workload through coordination with planning staff regarding entitled projects in the development pipeline
- Attends pre-construction conferences, safety meetings and conducts periodic site inspections for commercial construction projects
3. Reviews and approves constructions plans and specifications in MyPermitNow; monitors for compliance with applicable building codes and regulations.
- Utilizes & masters the MyPermitNow web-based system
4. Investigates code complaints; facilitates the timely and effective resolution of code violations.
- Resolves interpretation issues for inspections of buildings under construction and existing buildings for compliance with adopted International Building Code and city, state, and federal laws and regulations; may grant modifications to adopted codes when necessary.
- Determines required Code modifications and recommends updates as needed
- Suggest and implements methods to streamline and improve overall permit and building plan review process
- Develops processes for Certificate of Occupancy, water meter inspection and other inspection functions to ensure success and coordination between multiple departments
5. Conducts a variety of staffing, personnel and management functions:
- Coordinates unsafe structure program in collaboration with Building Services Coordinator
6. Participates in Trade Organizations, Area and State Building Association meetings and activities. 7. Miscellaneous:
- Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel.
- Provides technical guidance and assistance to building inspectors and permit technicians.
- Organizes continuing education for staff in accordance with certification requirements.
- Manages Inspection Division budget
- Coordinates fleet maintenance program for inspection vehicles
- Provides staff support and assistance to the Construction Board of Adjustments and Appeals.
- Oversees and provides continuing education pertaining to external contractor licensing.
- Serves as Emergency Response team member.
- Makes presentations to Councils and Commissions as needed
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel.
- Manages assigned budget, Manages inspection personnel.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Five (5) years of experience with combination building inspection operations, plan review, and/or code enforcement is required.
- Certification as a Certified Building Official issued by the International Code Council (ICC) and State of Texas Plumbing Inspector's License required.
- Intermediate Computer skills required.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS JOB DIMENSIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Structural Engineering, or related field is preferred.
- Three (3) years supervisory experience preferred.
- ICC Combination Plans Examiner Certification, ICC Commercial Energy Inspector Certification, ICC Residential Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner Certification, and Accessibility Inspector/Plans Examiner certifications preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to interpret and apply various codes and regulations pertaining to building safety; must have the ability to review/prepare budgets and inspection records and documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, outside agencies, contractors, and the public.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 50 pounds occasionally. Subject to vision constantly; hearing and talking frequently; standing, sitting, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, fine dexterity, climbing, balancing, foot controls occasionally; kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending, twisting and color acuity rarely.
Working conditions involve exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, heavy equipment, general construction site hazards, dust, dirt, soldering vapors, hazardous chemicals, and infectious diseases. Safety Sensitive Position.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous