Art, Media, and DesignStarting Date:
The Art, Media, and Design Department at California State University San Marcos seeks a full-time tenure track candidate whose work is in film and video. The candidate should have advanced video production skills, with experience teaching foundation courses. Candidates with interdisciplinary, emergent and hybrid media production practices are encouraged. Hybrid practices may include animation, film/video production, podcasting, sound studies/sound design, virtual and augmented reality, and developing media. The candidate should have expertise in critical histories and theories of media representation. Candidates with work that contributes to the college and university mission and commitment to diversity are encouraged to apply. The student-centered, interdisciplinary department seeks applicants with a passion for instigating thoughtful and relevant artwork from a diverse student body. The ideal candidate has experience in working with underserved communities and can adeptly bring relevant topics to the classroom.
The position will serve a highly interdisciplinary program with a major in Art, Media, and Design and minors in Film and Video Production; Digital and Media Arts; and Art and Visual Culture. Art, Media, and Design is in the School of Arts, whose mission is to provide an inclusive, collaborative community where artists, scholars, and students actively engage in developing artistic practices, critical thinking, cultural intelligence, and creativity. The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate excellence in research and/or creative activities, teaching and service to the department and university.Minimum Qualifications
- Master of Fine Arts or equivalent experience
- Active research and creative agenda
- Strong national/international exhibition/festival record
- College level teaching experience in related area
- 2 years+ college level teaching experience in related area teaching/mentorships with diverse and/or underserved communities
- Work that embodies themes of diversity through culture, identity and/or value systems
- Demonstrated experience in program and curriculum development
- Professional work experience in television, film, or video production organizations
Candidate is expected to engage in appropriate service, research, creative activity and teaching duties Application Procedure
Click Apply Now to complete the CSUSM Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter that addresses the above minimum and desired/preferred qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae
- Narrative Statement including A) Philosophy of creative approach (Artist's statement / Filmmaker's statement);
- Teaching statement including teaching philosophy
- Statement on diversity describing candidate's experience of mentoring underserved populations and commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural/multiethnic campus environment with a substantial population of first-generation students
- Samples of the candidate's work - please provide links to work/portfolio (minimum three projects with checklist and brief description)
- Samples of student work
- Sample syllabus (for any course relevant to the position)
- Names and contact information for three references
The School of Arts and the Department of Art, Media, and Design are committed to equity and social change, including to increasing the diversity of the campus community. Candidates who have experience working with a diverse range of faculty, staff, and students, and who can contribute to the climate of inclusivity are encouraged to identify their experiences in these areas.
Candidates whose work embodies themes of culture, identity and/or value systems are encouraged to apply. Demonstrated intercultural commitment and experience in teaching, research and/or service is preferred.
Review of applications will begin January 25, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit Faculty Opportunities
for more information.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation and veteran or military status.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised December 22, 2020
as a condition of employment.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy, can be found at CSU Covid Policy
. Questions should be sent to the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act or Clery Act Notification can be found at Clery Act Notification
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled