The City of Riverside, Public Utilities Department (RPU) is accepting applications for the position of Senior GIS Analyst
to fill one (1) vacancy in the Energy Delivery Engineering Division.
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The current vacancy in the Energy Delivery Engineering Division
will provide cartographic support to the Energy Delivery Engineering Division by producing publications that are included in construction plans, reports, exhibits, maps & memos. This position manages the electric spatial data and represents the utility among other agencies through completion of spatial data requests.
Under general supervision, a Senior GIS Analyst will perform a variety of professional office and field duties involved in the development, implementation, operation, performance, and maintenance of the City's Geographic Information System (GIS) program. Assists in the design, storage, and analysis of data which is referenced spatially and responds to requests and provides Geographic Information System data to City departments, outside agencies, and the public; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate in the development, implementation, operation, performance, and maintenance of the City's Geographic Information System.
- Analyze spatial and tabular information to solve problems involving logical/physical entity relationships and geographic relationships.
- Develop and program basic GIS applications using a variety of programming languages.
- Design, develop, and manipulate multi-faceted GIS themes.
- Create graphical user interface for Internet theme navigation.
- Develop query and relational query methodologies for the manipulation of geographically referenced data.
- Develop and maintain digital base maps.
- Perform modeling and manipulation of digital map files.
- Produce publications to include reports, exhibits, maps, atlases and other cartographic projects and services in a digital and hardcopy formats.
- Develop GIS project methodologies and designs for Intranet and Internet use.
- Creates topology files for theme integration.
- Interface with surveyors to implement global positioning system (GPS) control points collected in the field.
- Check positional and relative accuracy of GPS data.
- Provide technical support to City departments and other clients requesting GIS products while ensuring clients receive accurate products including maps, charts, and graphs in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Develop specifications for new GIS hardware and software.
- Prepare GIS system documentation.
Qualifications Option I:
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, or closely related field.
Experience: Four years of full-time work experience in drafting, engineering and/or using Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Experience using GIS software, computer aided design, and GIS equipment is highly desirable. Option II:
Education: Equivalent to an Associate's Degree in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, or closely related field.
Experience: Six years of full-time work experience in drafting, engineering and/or using Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Experience using GIS software, computer aided design, and GIS equipment is highly desirable. Option III:
Education: High School graduation or satisfactory equivalent (GED).
Experience: Eight years of full-time work experience in drafting, engineering and/or using Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Experience using GIS software, computer aided design, and GIS equipment is highly desirable. Necessary Special Requirements:
Highly Desired Qualifications:
Possession of an appropriate, valid, class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- When assigned to the Police Department, must be able to successfully pass an extensive police background.
- Experience working with spatial and temporal data to complete analytical tasks associated with studies
- Experience working with electric systems
- Experience creating exhibits and maps following cartographic rules
- Experience with developing, managing, and organizing data sets
- Experience working with Model Builder, Python and other programming languages
- Knowledge in Mobile GIS Technology
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team setting towards completing a common goal
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION: 1)
Completed Employment Application 2)
Completed Supplemental Questionnaire FOR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide).
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification. IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.