Under direct supervision of chain of command, this position is responsible for the performance of professional police work in preserving and protecting public peace and safety, protecting life and preventing crime through proper enforcement of the law.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Performs professional police duties in preserving the public peace.
- Protecting life and property; and preventing crime and enforcing laws.
- Protects and preserves public trust by upholding high professional and ethical standards.
- Patrols assigned areas; responds to radio calls and other calls for assistance.
- Protects crime scene and collects evidence and information.
- Investigates civil disorders and investigates and makes decisions at the crime scene.
- Conducts search and seizure.
- Apprehends and makes arrests; takes statements and prepares and writes reports.
- Enforces DUI/Traffic laws.
- Transports persons in custody.
- Provides emergency assistance.
- Write and read reports and other documents.
- Appears in court to present testimony.
- May assist in training new personnel as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED, minimum age of 21, character above reproach, and be a U.S. citizen (at time of filing).
Licenses and Certifications:
- Ability to obtain a Nevada P.O.S.T. Police Officer Certification (within established state time frame).
- Must possess a valid and current state driver's license at time of application. Must possess a valid and current NV state driver's license at time of hire and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record for duration of employment.
Physical and Mental Abilities:
- Must meet City's medical standards at time of hire and for duration of employment.
- Visual Acuity: Vision 20/20 in best eye and not worse than 20/30 in worse eye with/without correction. If correction is necessary, uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 in each eye.
- Color Vision: Must recognize 4/6 plates on titmus color vision test.
- Hearing: Average hearing 1000/2000/3000 HZ must not exceed 25db. No single reading to exceed 35db at 500/1000/2000/3000/4000HZ. A hearing aid can be accepted with a letter from an audiologist indicating proper fit and level of hearing correction in both ears.
- Ability to learn and follow rules and regulations of the NLVPD and of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, regulations, ordinances as applicable to the police officer function.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to apply police science principles, practices, methods, techniques and equipment as required on assigned.
- Ability to make quick, sound and logical decisions in emergency situations and be able to work under strict discipline.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to learn and use bilingual proficiency and to establish and maintain effective working and public relations.
- Ability to learn proper and correct care and use of firearms, camera, department radio, computers and other police related equipment.
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- Regular and timely attendance is required.
To test for this position, visit www.NationalTestingNetwork.com
Email: JoinNLVPD@cityofnorthlasvegas. com
Phone: 702-633-2255 or 702-633-1755
YouTube: North Las Vegas Police Department
- People Group: Police Non Supervisor
- Grade: POA-55
- Minimum Salary: 25.41
- Maximum Salary: 43.7
- Pay Basis: HOURLY