DescriptionIn order to apply to this position, you must apply directly through CPS HR Consulting . This position will be posted open until filled and the first application review date is Monday, June 7, 2021. To be considered for this opportunity, please submit cover letter of not more than one page in which you specify the Building Official position for which you are applying, resume, application, and a list of three professional references by using this link to the application: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/CPSHRRS/jobs/3068189/building-official.
This is a management position in the unclassified service responsible for overseeing the Building Inspection Division of the Planning and Inspection Department. The division manager, as a member of the department's management team, contributes and supports the goals of all division in meeting the needs of citizens, businesses and the development community in enhancing and maintaining the high quality of the physical characteristics of the City.
As a member of the City's Unclassified Service, this is an "at-will" position. The incumbent serves at the discretion of the City Manager. An incumbent in this classification demonstrates strong ethical, professional, and service-oriented leadership and interpersonal skills; sets a good example; and correctly applies the tenets of the City's Code of Ethics and Values.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following.
Under general direction:
• Serve as the City's Building Official;
• Manage the Building Inspection Division which includes permit review, inspection, code enforcement, and permit issuance functions;
• Manage the overall operation of the one-stop Permit Center to ensure the timely issuance of permits and the proper dissemination of information to the public;
• Serve as technical advisor and assistant to the Director of Planning and Inspection;
• Assign, monitor, and evaluate the work of Plans and Permits as well as Building Inspection staff for completeness, accuracy, timeliness, and adherence to professional and mandated standards, and prepare performance improvement plans as necessary;
• Plan, organize, direct, and participate in the plan review and design of documents for all
projects submitted to the City of Santa Clara for plan check;
• Participate in the enforcement of State and Local ordinances and codes related to commercial and residential building, including fire protection through building inspection, permit issuance, plan check, and related code enforcement activities;
• Review and interpret the State Building Codes and propose and implement revisions to codes and standards;
• Provide review of proposed alternative "Means and Methods" to the California Building
Code when required;
• Develop and participate in the enforcement of local ordinances that ensure life safety;
• Render decisions on local applications of building code questions;
• Develop technical code-related informational bulletins for the use of the public and in-house staff;
• Assist in preparation of operating budget for the Planning and Inspection Department and
prepare and monitor division budget;
• Prepare or direct the preparation of requests for proposals and consultant services and
participate in the selection and management of consultants;
• Represent the department in technical organizations, committees, and attend meetings of
• Provide information and serve as liaison to representatives from State, Federal, and Local
• Encourage quality teamwork and exceptional customer service;
• Consult and partner with staff to resolve interdepartmental issues and enhance customer
• Recognize and utilize staffs individual talent and skills and empower staff to make informed decisions on projects;
• Ensure the staff is provided the tools, training, and processes, which enable them to perform assigned responsibilities in a manner which best support customer satisfaction;
• Provide technical expertise to other City departments and divisions;
• Ensure that customer complaints are resolved by offering immediate result;
• Meet with and/or make presentations to community groups and representatives of local
businesses to explain the functions, policies, and operations of the division, and to respond to questions concerning plan and permit submittals;
• Review policies, correspondence, regulations, reports and legislation to determine necessary operational changes;
• Participate in the development, interpretation, clarification, and communication of
applications of policies and operational procedures; and
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
• Any combination of education and experience substantially equivalent to that obtained by a Bachelor's Degree in engineering, architecture, or related field from an accredited college or university; and
• Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in work involving building inspection, design, or construction, at least two (2) years of which shall have been in a management capacity.
• Supervisory experience with a municipal government is highly desirable.
• Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license is required at time of appointment
and for duration of employment.
• Certification by the International Conference of Building Officials as a Combination
Inspector, Plans Examiner, or Building Official is desirable.
• Possession of a valid certificate of registration from the State of California as a Civil or
Structural Engineer is desirable.
• May be required to travel independently both within and outside of the City limits.
• Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job assignment.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
Incumbents in this position are required to file a Conflict of Interest Statement upon assuming office, annually, and upon leaving office, in accordance with City Manager Directive 100. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee admittance into the examination process. Only the most qualified candidates who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will be invited to test. Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of Santa Clara will not sponsor, represent, or sign documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of :
• Plan review and permit issuance operations;
• California building codes, standards, and regulations;
• Building inspection including, structural and non-structural aspects of California building
• Fire, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and related codes and regulations;
• Methods, materials, techniques, and practices employed in building design, construction and inspection, engineering, and plan check;
• Project and workload planning;
• Principles of budget preparation in the public sector;
• Practices and methodologies of contract administration;
• Principles and practices of management;
• Technical report writing;
• Computerized land use and permitting enterprise systems; and
• Public information and public speaking techniques.
Skill in :
• Reading and interpreting building plans, specifications and codes;
• Identifying appropriate alternative "Means and Methods" to the California Building Code;
• Applying "Green Building" principles; and
• Dealing tactfully and effectively with diverse group of people.
Ability to :
• Function effectively, with integrity, both as a team member and as a team builder within the department and division;
• Lead others while fostering an atmosphere of teamwork among Building Inspection Division staff;
• Plan, organize, direct, and participate in the work of staff engaged in the performance of
complex, technical engineering work;
• Determine and evaluate levels of achievement and performance;
• Lead and guide team members to excel;
• Motivate staff to explore their potential within the scope of their work;
• Develop, coordinate, and implement organizational goals and objectives of the department
and the division;
• Identify and analyze administrative problems and implement operational changes;
• Allocate resources between staff and contract services;
• Deliver seamless service to the Permit Center;
• Review construction plans and conduct field inspections of building for compliance with
standards, codes, ordinances, and regulations;
• Understand, interpret, and explain codes, regulations and policies;
• Focus on discovering and meeting the customer's or client's needs;
• Understand others; accurately hear and understand the unspoken or partially expressed
thoughts, feelings, and concerns of others;
• Commit to an organization while showing an ability and willingness to align one's own
behavior with the needs, priorities, and goals of the organization;
• Be flexible while developing and maintaining cooperative working relationship with staff and clients from a variety of ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds;
• Determine and implement the appropriate course of action in stressful situations;
• Take initiative; identify a problem, obstacle, or opportunity and take action to address current or future problems or opportunities with the department and division;
• Speak to large and small groups while being persuasive and influential;
• Manage meetings effectively;
• Prepare written and verbal reports;
• Work independently;
• Resolve disputes;
• Perform work involving considerable attention to detail;
• Work well while striving to surpass a standard of excellence; and
• Bend, stoop, reach, carry, crawl, climb, and lift as necessary to perform assigned duties.