Description: Working Title
Capital Asset Accountant SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Department
Financial Reporting Appointment Type
This is a one-year probationary position. Time Base
Full-Time (1.0) Work Schedule
Monday through Friday; from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PMAnticipated Hiring Range
$4,219 to $4,688 per month ($50,628 to $56,256 annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience. Position Summary
Accountant I will perform a wide range of accounting and analytical duties requiring general knowledge and understanding of accounting principles and practices (GAAP) and CSU policies and procedures. Under the direction of the Associate Director of Financial reporting, incumbent is responsible for the complete financial reporting and accounting functions for capital asset in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), State of California, The State Controller's Office and The Chancellor's Office reporting requirements as well as supports the mission of the Fiscal Affairs and the University. The incumbent works independently to provide reconciliation, analysis and reporting of capital assets reported on the audited financial statements. Prepare legal basis reports to the State Controller's Office, Chancellor's Office and the University. The incumbent will prepare special capital asset report, analyze, and interpret financial reports, statements, and records for completeness with the specifications of standard practice, internal controls, and established policies and procedures as requested by the State Controller's Office, Chancellor's Office and the University. In addition to the responsibility listed above work assignments include some or all of the following:
- Gathering of lease agreements and assessing each currently lease under the new GASB 87 Standard coming into effect for Fiscal Year June 30, 2022
- The incumbent is responsible for planning and coordinating the meeting with Property Office personal to ensuring proper recording of Capital Assets at all times; which will include reconciling and reviewing within Asset Management Module and determining asset profile for capital assets, recording transactions in the ledger as stipulated in GAAP and Legal manuals.
- The incumbent is responsible for the accurate Input and set up of completed projects in Asset Management Module to ensure accurate and proper recording of financial transactions.
- Prepare and generate routine Capital Asset reports and statements; Examine reports for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with established policies and procedures and general accounting standards; which includes running and export queries.
- Assisting with research, filing, data entry, and recording and maintaining accurate and complete Capital Assets
- Updates and maintain spreadsheets including entering, sorting, calculating
- The incumbent will prepare Journal Entries and preform Internal Controls
- Assist with year-end AM close and audits including preparing PBCs, gathering documents required by auditors, reconciliation of accounting data, assisting to prepare reports requested by the State Controller's Office, Chancellor's Office and the University.
- Perform monthly AM process to close AM accounting period, run depreciation calculation and reports. Maintain, record, compile, verify, reconciles, analyze, fixed assets with Asset Management (AM) module and general ledger ensure discrepancies are resolved in a timely manner and perform internal controls.
- Prepare monthly fixed assets journals for legal books. Prepare AM/GL monthly reconciliation. Prepare construction work-in-progress (CWIP) detail and roll-forward schedules. Add/adjust assets in AM module.
- Timely gathering all the lease agreements, performing lease analysis per GASB 87 accounting regulations and upload to CSU lease platform for accurate recording and record keeping.
- Assist in Year-End Close, Journal Entries, Preparation of PBC's (Prepared by Client) documents, and Compile Year-End reports as required by the State Controller's Office, Chancellor's Office and the University.
- Special university, State of California (SCO), and Chancellor Office (CO) reports and analysis.
- Other duties as may be assigned At All Times
- Demonstrate behaviors that are in line with the User-Friendly Principles (P530C) and Principles of Conduct for a Multi-Cultural University (P30D)
- Demonstrate safe work practices for oneself, others and the office environment.
General knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); office methods and procedures; statistical and mathematical presentation of data; advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
Ability to interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines; analyze financial and statistical data and draw conclusions; utilize problem solving techniques; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non- Accountants
Experience and Education:
Equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance or closely related field or a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Must work cooperatively with others to achieve team goals and ability to communicate at all levels.
- Accounting work experience is a plus
- Advanced computer skills with computer applications (i.e., Excel, Word,)
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Ability to analyze accounting data
- Experience in perform reconciliation, prepare reports
- Experience working with auditors and preparing audit schedule
Core Competencies - embody the following competencies:
- Bias toward collaboration and teamwork.
- Effective communication across a variety of venues.
- Customer/Client Focus with an emphasis in problem solving and resolution.
- Personal effectiveness and credibility as demonstrated by interpersonal and professional confidence.
- Diversity and inclusion
- Typical office environment, equipment and tasks; work with computer terminals, perform under pressures of deadlines and other demands. This position occasionally needs to work overtime, weekends or holidays to meet reporting deadlines.
- This position occasionally needs to work overtime, weekends or holidays to meet reporting deadlines.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check. Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire. Benefits
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee. CSUEU Position
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference. Additional Information
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: June 6, 2022