The County of Yuba is currently recruiting for the position of Plan Checker II in the Building Department within the Community Development & Service Agency. The Plan Checker performs plan and specification review for construction, improvement, remodeling, alteration and repair plans for compliance with codes, ordinances and regulations and performs related work as assigned. Plan Checker II is the experienced level in this series, fully competent to perform the full range of plan checking for residential, commercial, industrial and public projects. Successful performance of the work requires a thorough knowledge of plan checking methods and the ability to exercise sound independent judgment within established guidelines. This class is distinguished from other engineering-oriented classes in that the emphasis is specifically upon the plan checking function. This position reports directly to Supervising Building Official. Example of Duties:
- Confer with and provide information to developers, engineers, architects, property owners and others regarding code requirements and alternatives and County policies and procedures wherever possible, resolve complaints and problems; maintain close verbal and written contact regarding progress with the complainants.
- Review calculations for completeness, code compliance and accuracy.
- Forward plan packages to other departments and agencies for review; coordinate review with them and coordinate the plan checking process to ensure that all applicable standards have been met.
- Recommend necessary changes to obtain compliance with building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, solar, accessibility, energy and other codes and requirements; conveys this information to the individual submitting the plans and suggests alternative ways to meet the code requirements.
- Advise construction management and building inspectors and others regarding problems that may occur in the field.
- Assist the public in completing permit applications, compute project costs and permit fees
- Update database for permit tracking; enter, modify and review data in permit tracking system; prepare reports, correspondence and other written materials and present information in a professional format
- Monitor technical developments and legislation related to new materials and new methods of construction; recommends procedural or ordinance changes as appropriate.
- Perform technical field inspections of new and existing industrial, commercial and/or residential properties, and/or other building and construction for conformance to codes, regulations, plans, specifications and standards related to foundations, framing, electrical, plumbing and other structural and functional elements