CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Environmental Compliance Specialist serves as the University's technical expert for environmental compliance. The incumbent is responsible for developing strategic compliance plans and objectives to meet current, developing, and future regulatory requirements for the University.
• Represents the University at a CSU System wide level often taking a leadership role in working groups and committees in developing and improving CSU System wide processes and programs.
• Interprets and analyzes pertinent provisions of laws and regulations to plan, develop, implement, and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of environmental compliance and hazardous materials management for the University independently and through working with other Environmental Health and Safety professionals within the CSU, UC systems, and regulatory agencies.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3t2qX8M
• Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university in a job-related field required.
• Equivalent to six years of full-time, progressively responsible relevant experience in a highly specialized technical/professional area. Oversight and administration of a program with supervision and/or lead experience.
• CERTIFICATION: Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response training 29 CFR Part 1910.120, training and medical approval for the use of Respiratory Protection Equipment (e.g. N95, half-face, full-face, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) negative pressure respirators). Accredited Asbestos Building Inspector, and Certified California Underground Storage Tank System Operator (current or acquire within 12 months of appointment).
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Extensive and in-depth knowledge of and ability to apply expertise in the advanced theories, principles, methods and practices associated with the functional specialty, including applicable internal policies and procedures and pertinent laws and regulations, which are highly complex and require substantial judgment and discretion in interpreting and applying them.
• Professional level knowledge and experience in environmental compliance and hazardous materials management including but not limited to: above and underground ground storage tanks, air quality (e.g. emission reporting, refrigerant management, off-road diesels, and permit applications), water quality (e.g. drinking water, storm water, and industrial waste water), hazardous materials and hazardous waste management, asbestos and lead management, and medical waste management.
• Ability and specialized skills to: interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies; understand problems from a broad perspective and develop strategic solutions; work with representatives from public and private entities.
• Demonstrated consultative and facilitation skills in working with internal and external constituent groups; interpret and integrate complex data and information to formulate appropriate courses of action; effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentative format; supervise and provide training; demonstrate expertise in environmental compliance and hazardous materials management.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
• The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to; medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
• Classification: 1038 / Admin Analyst / Specialist
• The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $5908 -$7917, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range for this classification is: $5908 -$11,481 per month.
• HOURS: Full Time; 40 hours per week; Monday through Friday.
• REG: This is a Regular position with a one-year probationary period.
• Applications received through April 21, 2021, will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
• This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California