Salary: $55,033.00 - $86,167.00 Annually USD
General Description: This is a professional position that requires expertise in ESRI's ArcGIS suite of applications. The incumbent is responsible for developing customer-focused, business-appropriate solutions in a cross-functional team environment; and applying analytical and problem-solving skills to identify and resolve issues in order to help maximize the benefit of IT systems investments.
Organization: The Systems Engineer position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Systems Engineer Ladder has four (4) levels: Systems Engineer I, II, III and Senior. Incumbents normally report to a Project Manager and supervise no staff, though they may lead teams.
• Performs problem-solving and analysis, including incident management, problem management and root cause analysis.
• Has a knowledge of the customer's business, as appropriate for the specified area of specialization. Leverages knowledge to develop customer-focused, business-appropriate solutions. Engages stakeholders in solution development.
• Communicates effectively with customers and team members.
• Vendor management. Works closely with vendors to develop solutions that meet customer needs; effectively escalate and resolve issues with vendors. Gain strategic insights from vendors.
• Develops and manages appropriate documentation.
• Systems implementation and systems management. Has working knowledge of relevant standards, protocols and languages used within domain of assignment and applies these to develop appropriate solutions.
• Manages work and priorities and utilizes project management practices.
• Stays current in developments within the specified area of specialization and proactively researches trends.
• Manages personal growth and development.
• Adheres to the department's change management standards.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Assignment-Specific Essential Functions:
• GIS Professional:
- Performs relational database management (Microsoft Sql Server, etc.)
- Queries/analyze data using standard tools
- Develops applications using standard programming languages (python scripting, etc.)
- Develops business and technical requirements
- Develops, designs, and maintains GIS web-based applications using standard development tools
- Implementing, supporting, and configuring third-party software packages
- Provides technical support and training, including developing pertinent documentation
- Ability to work and communicate with County staff, the public, and professional peers
A. Hazards: None known
B. Environment: Office, field. Travel for support, training and conferences.
C. Must perform regular, periodic on-call duties and beyond normal work schedule to resolve critical issues and system upgrades. Includes evenings, weekends and holidays.
D. Physical effort: Moderate - lifts supplies and equipment (PCs, network equipment, etc.).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Strong customer service orientation. Requires solid general knowledge of Information Technology industry and best practices and expertise in area of assignment. Excellent analytical ability; creative problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills. Excellent oral and written communications skills. Communication must be proactive, timely and audience appropriate. Ability to work independently and use independent judgment. Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks and assignment. Adept at working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Education, Experience and Training: Four years' college education required with a Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field preferred. Relevant experience in specific area of expertise, depending on area of assignment, required. - OR - Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
• Criminal Records check, including fingerprinting
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
• Twelve month probationary period
• Rotational on-call after-hours support (including evenings, weekends, holidays).
Revision Date: March 2017
Closing Date/Time: Continuous