The Modesto Irrigation District is currently recruiting to fill one full-time regular position in the IT Technical Operations Department, Information Technology Division to install, modify and maintain a variety of water, generation, transmission and distribution control, protection, communication, security and computer equipment at various locations in the District's electrical and irrigation systems. Any qualified individual may apply.
The Operations Technician/Apprentice is a non-exempt position and is allocated to the Utility Services and Maintenance Bargaining Unit. The list established as a result of this recruitment may be used to fill other Operations Technician/Apprentice vacancies that may occur through August 24, 2021.
The position will be filled at the appropriate level (Operations Technician, Apprentice) based on the qualifications of the successful candidate. Examples of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
Other Related Duties
- Perform maintenance and a variety of testing on the EMS/SCADA Master and remote units;
- Install and calibrate telemetry systems;
- Install and maintain storage batteries and charging systems;
- Maintain station equipment such as capacitor and regulator controls;
- Maintain and calibrate carrier relaying equipment in conjunction with outside agencies;
- Install and maintain backup power supplies for both EMS/SCADA computer system and computerized telephone systems;
- Install data lines and terminal equipment for computer systems;
- Install, maintain, and calibrate equipment related to irrigation such as level sensors, position sensors, temperature sensors, flow meters, and motor controls.
- Maintain records of supervisory equipment, investigate and determine cause of radio and television interference reported by customers and coordinate corrective action;
- Install and maintain radio, microwave and fiber optic network equipment;
- Maintain security equipment;
- Install, modify and maintain computer systems, network equipment, and audio visual equipment.
- Perform overtime and/or emergency work.
Other duties as assigned. Typical Qualifications:
Any combination of education, experience, knowledge and abilities may satisfy the necessary minimum qualifications. A typical way to obtain the education, experience, knowledge and abilities would be:Education
: High school diploma or equivalent. Two (2) years of college with major course work in mathematics, electronics, electrical technology, or a related field.Experience
: Apprentice Operations Technician: Twelve (12) months experience in a related area. Operations Technician: Two (2) years experience at the journey level as a Generation Technician, Substation Electrician, Electronic Technician, Radio Technician, Communications Technician or equivalent.Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and methods, materials, tools and equipment in the installation, operation, maintenance, and modification of mechanical, hydraulic, electrical, electronic, computer and fiber optic systems.
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings, sketches, plans, specifications, and maintenance manuals; use electrical and mechanical tools and equipment skillfully and safely in accordance with District Safety Rules and operating orders; work effectively either alone or in cooperation with other employees and with minimum direct supervision.
: Must have a valid California Class C driver license. Residence within a 35-mile radius of the District's Main Office (1231 Eleventh St., Modesto, CA) must be established within six (6) months of appointment to this position and maintained thereafter. Supplemental Information:
Qualified applicants must submit a completed District application. APPLY IMMEDIATELY.
The recruitment will close upon receipt of a sufficient number of qualified applicants. Application screening will begin on or after December 4, 2020. Applications received after this date are not guaranteed consideration
Applications will be reviewed on a comparative basis and only those most qualified will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an overall assessment of the individual's skills through (1) written exam; (2) oral interview; and (3) contacting of references to include current and former supervisors. The applicant must perform successfully in each phase of the testing in order to continue in the selection process.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE VERIFICATION OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED AND APPLICABLE HIGHER EDUCATION DEGREE, PASS A MEDICAL EXAM INCLUDING A DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREEN, AND A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK.
Applicants requiring necessary accommodations to the application process may contact Human Resources at (209) 526-7341. California Relay Service is available at (800) 735-3933 voice and (800) 735-2929 TDD. The Modesto Irrigation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE