The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
The Data Warehouse Analyst is responsible for all aspects of complex data warehouses design, creation, development, documentation, implementation, support and maintenance. This includes Business Intelligence components, Extract-Transform-Load processes, and data sources.
This is highly responsible professional and technical work of more than average difficulty in data warehousing technology, as well as Business Intelligence. Under direction, an employee in this class is required to exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment in the creation, implementation and use of data warehousing technology. Advice and assistance are available in handling more complex matters.
NOTE: This position will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, anyone hired after Jan 1, 2021 will be automatically enrolled in the Florida Retirement System (FRS), which will require a 3% contribution from employees.
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify.
This job classification is in Management Category III for benefits purposes.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Federation of Public Employees and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Federation of Public Employees.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Performs complex data warehouse architecture, population, support and maintenance
- Works with database management systems including database access via Open Database Connectivity (ODBC), SQL Server Management Studio, and Oracle tools (such as SQL Developer, TOAD)
- Performs data manipulation and integration using Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Designs, develops, and executes the Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) processes for data warehouses
- Works with data warehouse design techniques utilizing database management systems including Oracle, Microsoft (MS) SQL Server, and Azure (or other cloud database service)
- Administers enterprise deployment of Business Intelligence tools, including Microsoft Power BI and IBM's Cognos
- Works with multiple operating systems including current versions of Windows (desktop and server), UNIX and Linux
- Works effectively with City customer departments to learn organizational functions to ensure the purpose of data warehouse information
- Determines user requirements for data extract and design, assists with the report environment analysis and verifies data extracts for accuracy
- Performs analysis, planning and implementation of Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence technology
- Extracts, transforms, and loads (ETL process) data in databases and data warehouse environments, utilizing Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services and other ETL tools.
- Designs, creates, and maintains different types of data sources.
- Plans, designs, manages, prioritizes and implements complex data warehouse components consistent with business processes
- Coordinates with outside vendors and City department personnel, as a technical resource, to ensure data tasks are completed as designed and intended
- Coordinates with other Information Technology professionals and stakeholders to deliver and improve Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence functionality
- Creates and maintains Business Intelligence dashboards, including using tools such as Microsoft Power BI
- Assembles and analyzes performance statistics, and makes recommendations for improvements
- Designs and develops solutions that enable clients to make decisions based on data utilizing dashboards and self-service analytical reports
- Troubleshoots and resolves reporting, data warehouse and ETL related issues
- Works with vendors on problems and upgrades to vendor proprietary data warehouses and data marts.
- Performs regular quality assurance checks on data warehouses to ensure data quality and accuracy
- Develops diagrams and data flow charts of system operations and process flows for data warehousing processes
- Defines and documents user and Business Intelligence requirements
- Writes technical documentations and ensures it is maintained and up to date.
- Provides user support and technical expertise for Business Intelligence tools
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with City officials and employees, vendor representatives, and the general public
- Conducts training on use of Business Intelligence and reporting environments/tools
- Provides after hours support as needed
- Stays abreast of developments through research, evaluation, and recommendation of new technologies in the Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence fields
- Performs related work as required
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, information systems, or a closely related field
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in database design, data warehouse design, Business Intelligence, Structured Query Language (SQL) design and query writing.
- Additional qualifying experience in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required education, at the Division Manager's discretion.
- Possess or be able to obtain a State of Florida driver's license within 30 days of hire.
This position may require Holiday, night and/or weekend work. Essential Employees may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work. PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves light physical demands, such as exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 5 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work Environment Frequency Working in Designated Environment
Office or similar indoor environment Frequently or Often Outdoor environment Seldom or Never Street environment (near moving traffic) Seldom or Never Construction site Seldom or Never Confined Space Seldom or Never In the community (homes, businesses, etc.) Seldom or Never Lab Seldom or Never Warehouse environment Seldom or Never HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ) at time of application.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous