Job Summary The Mohave County Development Services Department is currently recruiting for a Combination Building Inspector II in the Building Division of the Bullhead City Office. Depending on qualifications, may fill position as :
Combination Building Inspector I Range 14, Steps 1-10: $19.50-$30.27
Performs advanced level work involved in assuring the compliance of new construction and alterations to existing structures with the building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing codes, onsite wastewater systems and adherence to approved plans and specifications for the Building Inspections Division of the Development Services Department. REPORTS TO:
Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level of authority and requires independent decisions according to established procedures. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May exercise technical and/or functional supervision and assist in training staff at the Combination Building Inspector Provisional and Combination Building Inspector I level. Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Inspects new construction at various phases of completion to ensure compliance with the various codes and approved plans and specifications.
- Ensures compliance to codes and approved plans and specifications through inspection of single and multi-family residential, commercial and industrial buildings, alterations to existing structures, including remodeling, room additions, patio covers, etc., and inspects swimming pools, spas, propane heaters, gas lines, retaining walls, electric service, onsite wastewater systems and mobile homes.
- Reviews construction and site plans to ensure that work is being done according to approved plans and ensuring code compliance.
- Discusses changes with contractors and authorizes minor alterations.
- Issues approvals or rejections at each of the inspection phases.
- Issues notices for non-compliance to codes and deviations from approved plans and specifications.
- Issues notices for work being done without the necessary permits.
- Meets with contractors, homeowners, and others to discuss deficiencies and possible corrections and respond to inquiries of building inspection activities and code compliance.
- Investigates complaints and notifies higher level of authority of the results of the investigation to determine outcome of complaint.
- Maintains awareness of new and revised codes and construction methods and materials.
- Conducts fire damage inspections, dangerous buildings inspections, damage inspecting following emergencies or disasters per FEMA requirements, and inspections of buildings being moved.
- Maintains records of inspections conducted, citations issued and updates permit records.
- Follows up on code violations to verify compliance.
- Investigates complaints and discusses problems with homeowners, contractors and others.
- Contacts utility companies with approvals so that utilities may be connected.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School Diploma/GED
- Four (4) years of applicable experience in the construction industry.
- Two (2) years of experience, in performing building inspections and ensuring compliance to codes and approved plans and specifications.
- OR any equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must pass drug screen post offer.
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Must possess International Code Council (ICC) Certification as a Residential Building Inspector.
- Must possess a willingness to strive and obtain International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO) certification as a Combination Light Commercial Inspector within one (1) year of appointment to Combination Building Inspector II.
- Structural standards and methods applicable to the work assignment.
- Materials and practices used in building construction trades and crafts and of the various stages of construction.
- County and state codes and ordinances related to structural construction and modification of residential, commercial and industrial buildings.
- Applicable building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical codes.
- Building materials and methods, mechanical, plumbing and electrical materials and methods.
- Building safety and inspection methods and of the phases of construction where defects may be detected and corrective measures taken.
- Department policies, rules and procedures
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Safe, efficient use of measuring and inspection aids and tools utilized in performance of building inspections.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Plan and schedule work to accommodate the needs of contractors and property owners, to assure compliance with codes, standards and regulations and to avoid costly delays in the construction or modification process.
- Interpret and apply technical information encountered in the performance of responsibilities to include building codes, ordinances, plans, blueprints, diagrams and specifications.
- Detect discrepancies in plans, materials, and methods of construction and installation processes and to suggest corrective actions.
- Conduct field inspections and investigations, for building code and dangerous building code violations and prepare detailed and accurate records for use in legal procedures.
- Work independently.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, the general public, building contractors and related agencies, and County departments.
- Make accurate and detailed observations.
- Efficiently organize workload and schedule.
- Translate complex requirements into appropriate layman terms.
- Suggest alternatives or modifications which will bring construction into code compliance.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.