FILING START DATE :
Applications will be accepted starting Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. (PT).
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure at any time without prior notice. EXAM NUMBER
W7227D TYPE OF RECRUITMENT :
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, over 112,000 employees in more than 36 Departments provide vital public services as diverse as law enforcement, property assessment, public health protection, water conservation, cultural activities and many more.
Don't miss this great opportunity! Who We Are :
Internal Services Department (ISD) provides a wide range of Alterations and Improvements for Los Angeles County facilities including modifying, remodeling, planning and installing new facilities capabilities. Our wastewater treatment workers are responsible for the day-to-day operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and handling of special problems of municipal, industrial, and other treatment plants. We are looking for an individual who :
- Empowers others and promotes teamwork and collaboration.
- Engages in continuous quality improvement activities, performance measurements, and benchmarking.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to plant safety activities, practices, and standards.
Essential Job Functions What You Will Do :
- Plans, organizes, assigns, directs and evaluates the work of subordinates engaged in sewage plant maintenance and potable water operations.
- Ensures the proper operation and maintenance of assigned sewage treatment plants including pumps, sedimentation tanks, bio-filters, clarifiers, membrane bioreactors (MBR), digesters, chlorinators, extended aeration and activated sludge processers, advanced septic tank systems, and other related equipment used to treat raw sewage.
- Determines plant operation methods and procedures through the interpretation and evaluation of laboratory analyses of treated sewage.
- Schedules work assignments and maintenance, making requests for services and equipment as needed.
- Inspects plants for proper operating conditions, checking the condition of grease traps, filters, and sewer lines.
- Supervises the operation of a third party laboratory or vendor provided lab services providing tests and reports related to waste water treatment required by the State, County and other interested jurisdictions.
- Maintains plant and equipment records for ordering necessary materials, supplies and parts, and for determining the frequency and cause of breakdowns.
- Prepares necessary operational reports and correspondence to State and County health districts and the State Water Quality Control Board concerning the amount of sewage treated and disposed of and quality of final effluent released.
- Conducts sewage, water and wastewater plant safety and training programs.
- Prepares budget requests for the sewage treatment section.
A Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's Certificate, Grade III or higher, issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board and a Water Treatment Facility Operator's Certificate, Grade I or higher, issued by the California State Department of Health or the California State Water Resources Control Board.*LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver License is required to perform job-related essential functions of the position.**PHYSICAL CLASS:
This position includes light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:*APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF THE TWO (2) REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS WITH THEIR COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES JOB APPLICATION AT THE TIME OF FILING, OR WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) CALENDAR DAYS FROM THE DATE OF FILING YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION.
Failure to provide the required documentation will result in application rejection.
**Successful applicants for this position will be required to obtain and present a copy of his/her driving record from the California State Department of Motor Vehicles before final appointment. Applicants should not present a copy of their driving history until asked to do so by the hiring department. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether an applicant's driving history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job. License must not be currently suspended, restricted or revoked.
Additional Information First, meet our requirements above. After that, our process includes a one part examination.
This exam will consist of an oral interview covering training, experience, supervisory skills, and general ability to perform the duties of the position weighted at 100%.
A minimum passing score of 70% on the assessment is required to pass.
NO PERSON MAY COMPETE FOR THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.NOTE: Test invitations will be sent to candidates via email. Candidates are responsible for providing a valid email address in their application that can receive email from firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email address book and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk mail.
If you have a disability and need accommodation to take assessment, let us know by contacting the ADA Coordinator at (323) 267-2432.SPECIAL INFORMATION:SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Also, appointees may be required to work overtime.What Happens Next:
Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity! Applications must be filed online only. We must receive your application by 5:30 p.m. (PT), on the last day of filing. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, fax, or in person will not be accepted. Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using the website https://www.governmentjobs.com/career/lacounty
Qualified candidates who have successfully passed the assessment process will have their results placed on a register. We will then invite the highest scoring group to a selection interview. The register of everyone who passed is valid for twelve (12) months.
Application will be processed on an as received basis and promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at anytime during the exam process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of job offer.
Have questions about anything? Please contact us using the following information:Exam Number:
W7227DDepartment Contact Name:
Debra TseDepartment Contact Phone:
(323) 881-3671Department Contact Email:
DTse@isd.lacounty.govCalifornia Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 267-2432Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099 [Alternate Teletype Phone:
(800) 897-0077]FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.IMPORTANT NOTES:
Please note that ALL information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION
at any point during the examination process, including after an appointment has been made.FALSIFICATION
of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION.
from class specifications, job bulletins and/or plagiarism of any type serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to meet the requirements. Doing so will result in a REJECTION
of your application.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous