The Department of Public Works Engineering Division is seeking a Senior Project Manager. This position supports the Division's Manager, is highly advanced supervisory and professional project and engineering work of considerable difficulty involving a wide variety of projects, including the supervision of a major work group.
Both directly and through subordinate engineering and utilities personnel, as well as in conjunction with engineering consultants, the employee plans, directs, supervises and coordinates the design and construction of municipal engineering projects. Work assignments require the application of advanced project and construction management skills and considerable use of independent judgment in planning and managing/reviewing projects that are designed in-house as well as projects that are developed by engineering consultants or private developers. Experience with program management methods and knowledge of federal and state permitting requirements (e.g. Florida Department of Environmental Protection) will be beneficial to this position.
With minimal direction, the employee performs complex assignments requiring the exercise of considerable initiative and independent judgment in assuring that activities meet high standards of service, are performed with the maximum effective use of resources, and that work is accomplished in accordance with accepted technical standards and in compliance with applicable rules, regulations, and laws. Work is reviewed by the Assistant City Engineer via conferences with the employee, through study of reports submitted, by direct observation, and by the degree of achievement of established goals, objectives, timeliness of project completion, and work plans.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City offers 401(a) participation with a 9% City contribution and no employee match!!
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit StudentAid.gov/publicservice
for more information or to see if you qualify. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Supervises engineering and administrative staff; conducts performance evaluations; recommends disciplinary actions; prepares, prioritizes, delegates and tracks scopes of responsibility and work assignments; develops new policies and procedures; develops and administers quality control measures and processes; improves and streamlines existing procedures; develops and administers performance measures; collaborates with departments and divisions within the City and outside agencies to establish review procedures and policies;
- Updates/modifies City code provisions, engineering standard details, standard specifications; interprets and applies existing City code provisions; applies federal, state, county and outside agency laws and regulations
- Collaborates with the City Attorney's Office for the preparation of developer agreements, legal instruments for the disposition of public rights-of-way, easements, bonds and other legal documents
- Oversees inspection process to ensure that construction work is performed on schedule and in accordance with permit requirements
- Develops and oversees applicable budgets for the division; monitors actual operating costs to ensure expenditures are within the approved budget
- Provides technical information and guidance on complex design issues pertaining to land development, utility construction, surface water management, roadway improvements and other public/private improvements
- Prepares required designs, specifications, estimates and technical reports for special projects; prepares reports, memorandums, and related correspondence pertaining to contract and regulatory compliance
- Responds to inquiries by public officials, residents and business owners; identifies and implements strategies to obtain feedback from public and permit applicants on the development permit review process; identifies strategies for utilizing social media and the City's web page to inform applicants of permit review process
- Performs related work as required
1. Have graduated from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Project Management, or other appropriate technical field.
2. Have at least five (5) years of responsible post-graduate experience in one or more of the following areas: planning, design and construction of public works projects; planning, design and construction of utility projects; planning, design and construction of private development projects; or other closely related project, design/construction experience in water and wastewater projects. Additional qualifying work experience may be substituted for the required college education on a year-for-year basis.
3. Possession of a current certification as a Certified Construction Manager (CCM) or Project Management Professional (PMP), or licensure as a registered Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Florida or as a General Contractor by the State of Florida is preferred. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Non-Essential Employees
will not be required to work during a declared emergency but may be required to work in some capacity after the declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine when the employee will be required to work. HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION: Note: This posting will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications are received.
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form (J204) at time of application. SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
Management Category: 2 Classification Level: Program Manager
FLSA: Non-Exempt EEO Code: 2 - Professional
Job Code: FS026 Pay Grade: FS12
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Federation of Public Employees (SUPERVISORY) and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Federation of Public Employees.Note:
Required certifications must be kept current to continue employment in this class.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous