About Our Job
This is a part-time, limited position beginning January 20, 2020, with an expected end date of March 1, 2020.
Denver Parks & Recreation's Arts and Culture team is starting an exciting new partnership with Denver Public Libraries. We are initiating a free educational culture program through the arts. We are seeking an instructor to teach the art of storytelling quilts in honor of Black History month. These classes will be peer taught so that students have the chance to learn about cultures from members of the community, and will explore the work of African-American artist and author, Faith Ringgold.
The person hired for this role will have the pleasure of teaching youth between the ages of 8-18 years old, the art of storytelling quilts as an artistic medium. Other responsibilities of this role include:
- Design and plan a creative and structured programming that is engaging for youth (8 - 18 years)
- Setup and takedown of classes
- Teach participants the basics of sewing and quilting using hand-sewing and machine-sewing techniques
- Develop strong rapport with youth and parents within the community
- Shop for needed supplies and materials, while remaining within budget
We are looking for an instructor who is enthusiastic about sharing their real-life experiences and knowledge of the Black/African American culture and communities with our youth participants. Our ideal candidate will have a passion for storytelling and the arts.
Additionally, our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Experience working with minority communities and youth of color
- Knowledge and experience with both basic hand-sewing and machine-sewing techniques
- Knowledge of Black/African American or ethnic studies preferred
- Willingness and ability to work six to nine hours per week
- Ability to commute to multiple worksites
We realize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
- Experience Requirement: One (1) year of experience in assisting in the operation and instruction of organized recreation activities
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
- License/Certifications: Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application
- Requires certification in CPR/First Aid within 6 months of hire
- Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
CA2583 Recreation Instructor
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$14.74 - $21.52
Parks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here