Under direction, to plan, organize, direct and control activities and operations of a Community Library in one of the cities served by the Santa Clara County Library System.NOTE: Candidates who meet the employment standards will be invited to take an oral examination, tentatively scheduled for 01/07/2020, 01/08/2020 and/or 01/09/2020.
- Plans, organizes and directs the activities of the community library;
- Analyzes diverse and changing community interests and acts to ensure that all library collections and services are relevant, current and easily accessible to the community;
- Formulates short term and long range plans for library services in diverse communities;
- Analyzes library use and staffing and evaluates library services to ensure best use of resources;
- Initiates changes in collections, services and physical organization of the library's interior to meet evolving community needs;
- Develops and enhances library services based on individual community needs and current technology;
- Establishes, interprets and implements policies and procedures for the community library staff and patrons;
- Directs and coordinates a large, diverse staff, which include, management, professional and clerical employees;
- Selects, trains and evaluates supervisors of professional and clerical staff;
- Utilizes effective management and supervision techniques, develops goals and standards for, and participates in the training of library staff;
- Researches, gathers and analyzes information; prepares various reports;
- Represents, participates and provides input regarding the Community Library at various meetings;
- Manages and implements building security in coordination with local public safety agencies; Oversees building maintenance;
- Advises and consults with outside library fundraising groups in their budgeting process;
- Creates grant proposals and directs the implementation of grants received;
- Serves as the Community Library contact to vendors and contractors for library renovation or new construction, including needs assessment, building program, design development documents and plan checks;
- Prepares and makes presentations to local service and community groups regarding library services;
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relations with government agencies and services as the library contact for City and County departments and outside agencies;
- Conducts regular meetings with Library supervisors to ensure effective communication and community service;
- Analyzes County Library budget to determine annual personnel, materials and facilities allocated and monitors expenditures;
- Prepares and submits annual budget estimates;
- Participates in professional organizations, including professional conferences and workshops;
- Keeps apprised of current issues and trends in libraries, management and technology;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs related duties as required.
Possession of a Master's Degree in Library Science from a school of librarianship accredited by the American Library Association or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Possession of a valid California driver's license prior to appointment and the ability to qualify for and maintain a County Driver's Permit.
Minimum of three (3) years of professional library experience in a capacity comparable to a Supervising Librarian in Santa Clara County and possession of following knowledge and abilities:Knowledge of:
- Principles of effective personnel management and training and customer services techniques;
- Principles and techniques involved in the operation and administration of library programs, collections and services and their relation to community needs;
- Library methods, procedures, and technology;
- Tools and techniques for assessing community needs;
- Ethical management of intellectual freedom as it pertains to community libraries;
- Content and development of a balanced library collection, including print, media and electronic books, internet access and emerging technologies, effective methods to recognize and respond to the cultural diversity of the community.
- Formulate and implement effective and efficient library policies and procedures;
- Effectively manage, train, develop and motivate professional and non-professional staff;
- Organize and manage the day-to-day operations of a community library;
- Advise and instruct patrons in the use of library facilities; interact effectively with people of diverse backgrounds;
- Resolve and/or answer difficult policy, procedural or reference questions; analyze community needs and recommend specific plans for modifying or extending library services;
- Logically define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions;
- Consult and advise executive management on the activities and status of assigned Community Library;
- Develop short and long range budget plans that reflect the Community Library needs;
- Write and speak effectively;
- Prepare and review reports;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Closing Date/Time: 12/18/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.