The City of Davis Parks & Community Services provides support and supervision to adults (ages 21- 60) and teens (ages 13-21) with disabilities on recreational outings on the weekends (various Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays throughout each month). Support includes, but is not limited to; money management, safety, behavioral conduct, communication, transportation, and self-help skill reminders.
Must be available to work on the weekends (schedules vary and are developed on a monthly basis). May be asked to work Monday afternoons between 4:00-7:00 PM for additional programming as needed. Must attend mandatory staff trainings as scheduled.
Community Services Specialist II - $13.00 to $14.00 per hour based on experience. A Community Services Specialist II position requires a minimum of one year of experience working with teens or adults in a group setting (recreation program, church, camp, teen center, work/day program).
Temporary part time, no benefits. Applicants will be screened according to experience relevant to this position. Those most qualified will be invited to an individual or small group interview. Program visitations for interested applicants are encouraged and can be arranged by advance appointment. Some applicants may be asked to lead or participate in an outing as part of the application process.Examples of DutiesResponsibilities:
- Provides support to persons with disabilities while participating in a variety of recreation activities
- Communicates with supervisory program staff regarding participant behavior, injuries, and other relevant matters
- Provides transportation using City of Davis vehicles (6 passenger vans) on outings
- Renders routine first aid for minor injuries
- Attends staff meetings as scheduled
- Assures that all equipment and facilities are safely and properly prepared and maintained
- Keeps work environments clean and organized
- Assists in the direction and coordination of volunteers in conjunction with supervisory program staff as needed
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid California Class C driver's license
- CPR and First Aid Certification prior to the start of employment
- Have an interest in working with participants who have a disability
- Ability to demonstrate energy, enthusiasm, and creativity in the job position
- Having knowledge of recreation activities, behavior management practices and community resources is desirable
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communication with other program staff and community members
- Having related experience working with teen/adults with disabilities is highly desirable
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is an active position requiring the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, stand, walk and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 50 lbs.; verbal and hearing skills to effectively communicate with participants and other staff; visual acuity to oversee projects, and make observations. Work is done both indoors and out, with exposure to heat, often over 100 degrees, sun, noise, dust, pollens and slip hazards when near water. There is also the potential for exposure to blood borne pathogens when rendering first aid.Supplemental InformationTo Apply:
A City of Davis online employment application must be submitted to be considered for these positions. Paper applications will not be accepted.FINAL FILING DATE:
Open until positions are filled OR until the first 25 qualified applications are received. Applicants will be notified via email of their application status.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
The City of Davis encourages applications from qualified women and minorities. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability or sexual preference.NOTES
Information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and the provisions are subject to change. According to the Federal Reform and Control Act, the City of Davis is required to hire only U.S. citizens or aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
If you require accommodation during any phase of this recruitment process, please contact theHuman Resources office at (530)757-5644 or TDD(530)757-5666.
The City of Davis has a no smoking policy for all city facilities