About Our Job
Denver International Airport is the 20th-busiest airport in the world and the 5th-busiest airport in the United States, serving 64.5 million passengers in 2018 and generating more than $26 billion for the region annually. DEN is the largest and newest commercial airport in the United States.
Denver International Airport is currently seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer. The Senior Electrical Engineer position is a part of the Technical Programs and Systems group, and will be responsible for engineering aspects of Electrical Systems at Denver International Airport (DEN). These systems include: power distribution, grounding, interior and exterior lighting, lightning protection as well as fire alarm, public address, telecommunications, and master time systems in coordination with other subject matter expertise groups. Our candidate will coordinate and conduct facility and design reviews, interpret applicable code, evaluate design submittals, develop Alternative Solutions, prepare code compliance reports and coordinate with engineering design teams. You will be responsible for the review and implementation of engineering strategies and will coordinate on all matters with the design teams, construction teams, maintenance teams, and authorities having jurisdiction. The scope of influence for this candidate will include the significant new construction and major renovations included in the Concourse Expansion Program (CEP), Great Hall (GH) renovation, as well as DEN's capital improvement plan and O&M projects.
As a Senior Electrical Engineer, you can expect to:
- Perform full performance professional level engineering work on a variety of large and complex engineering projects and assignments from inception to completion, which includes reviewing construction plans and designs for conformance and compliance, providing technical engineering oversight and guidance, coordinating project phases, and recommending solutions to complex engineering issues and problems.
- Evaluate interim and milestone deliverables from Project Teams and provide feedback to Project Teams and Management to ensure accountability to the AIM Development Project Life Cycle, Design Standards Manuals, and DEN Technical Specifications. Provide discipline specific request for information (RFI) and submittal review and recommendations.
- Work with stakeholders both internal and external to the city, which includes attending project or program (including but not limited to CEP and GH) meetings, working with intergovernmental organizations, interacting with utility companies, other city agencies and departments, elected officials, and working with consultants, contractors, Airlines, Tenants, and Stakeholders.
- Assist with and prepare project bid materials and engineer estimates, which includes evaluating bid qualifications and proposals, and working with stakeholders on project designs, concepts, and timeframes for project completion.
- Act as a team engineering discipline subject matter expert on projects and assignments, assisting in defining the work for contractors and consultants, assisting inspectors with difficult or unusual code compliance issues, keeping other staff and engineering team members focused on tasks and assignments, and allocating resources effectively.
- Design O&M and capital improvements projects. This includes limited design work as necessary to support the rapid evolution of projects under the Concourse Expansion Program (CEP), Great Hall (GH) renovation, Capital Improvement Plan, or O&M projects.
- Prepare project budgets, scope and life cycle schedule in the planning and define phase and define conceptual work plans and schedules.
- Review and evaluate project drawings, design plans, and project development documents for permits, regulatory compliance and compliance with DEN Design Standards Manuals.
- Prepare a variety of engineering studies, correspondences, and reports for capital improvements projects, which includes preparing feasibility studies, reviewing consultant proposals and contracts, developing project communications plans.
- Review projects to ensure compliance with engineering codes and standards, monitor projects for quality, identify strategies to overcome barriers, ensure materials comply with project specifications, review calculations, and perform field and site inspections.
- Maintain a partnership with DEN Maintenance organizations to assist in DEN system troubleshooting, communicate code changes that impact system operations, and maintain a communication path to ensure design and construction products meet maintenance needs.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of DENs Design Standards Manuals, DEN Master Specifications, DEN Master Diagrams and Details.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Any one position may not include all the duties listed. However, the allocation of positions will be determined by the amount of time spent in performing the essential duties listed above.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of electrical engineering experience, with at least 3 years of experience working in a Category X airport environment.
- Design experience related to large commercial facilities, including power, lighting, controls, grounding and lightning protection.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Experience with airfield electrical systems.
- LEED AP and/or PMP certification.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.
- Experience: Three years of professional engineering work experience after obtaining a Professional Engineering (PE) license. (Some positions may require experience in a specific engineering area)
- Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements
- Licensure/Certification(s): Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. By position, requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL "B") with appropriate endorsements by the end of probation. Requires registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by the Colorado State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers at the time of application. Or requires registration as an Architect by the Colorado State Board of Registration at the time of application. Registration in another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement, provided that the applicant has Colorado registration at completion of probation. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
FBI Background Check: FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony convictions and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance and be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.
Snow / Emergency Duties: Denver International Airport is a 24/7/365 team operation. If weather conditions warrant or an emergency crisis occurs, all DEN employees can be required to work extended hours and/or shifts.About Everything Else
CE0431 Engineer Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$89,369.00 - $142,990.00
Based on Education & Experience
Denver International Airport
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here