About Our Job
This job application will close on Monday, December 16th at 11:59 pm. Please apply as soon as possible in order to be considered.
At Community Planning and Development, we envision, enable and ensure a better Denver. Denver's Community Planning and Development Department is responsible for visionary city planning and ensuring that all buildings are safe. Community Planning and Development plays a role in growing our world-class city, while keeping its beloved features intact. From the skyscrapers of the Central Business District; to the walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods of Stapleton; to the charming Victorian effects of the Baker district, the staff at Community Planning and Development works to make Denver a great place to live, work and play. The department's three primary functions are planning, permitting and inspections. Learn more about how we're "BUILDING COMMUNITY" at www.DenverGov.org/CPD
Interested? At the City and County of Denver and CPD you can apply your expertise and contribute directly to the community. Please review the required qualifications and submit your application/resume for consideration by clicking the 'Apply' button at the top of this posting and/or visit www.denvergov/jobs
The City and County of Denver's Community Planning and Development Department (CPD) is recruiting for a highly motivated and organized Plans Review Specialist II to work with our Engineering and Site Plan Review teams with the Green Buildings Ordinance and other processes within our Development Services Division. This position will directly support Community and Planning Development's ongoing collaboration with the City's Climate Action Team Buildings Group as we partner with the building community to elevate performance of new and existing Denver buildings, empowering a healthier city
The Plans Review Specialist II is responsible for performing building and zoning code plan review. A major duty for this position will be assisting our customers in understanding the Green Buildings Ordinance standards, permit and/or plan submittal criteria, and working closely with the Green Building Architectural/Structural Specialist, Architectural/Structural plan review team as well as the Customer Service/Intake/Log-in and Site Plan Review teams. In this role you will directly support Denver's new and existing building teams successfully navigate higher performance building design and submittal requirements as we advance toward our community's and Mayor's 80x50 goal and associated targets and plans for a healthy, vibrant, resilient city.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing, examining, and interpreting code for a wide range of construction documents and complex zoning and use permit applications for compliance with applicable codes, policies, and standards which include the Green Buildings Ordinance, International Energy Conservation Code, Denver Green/Stretch code, International Building Code, the Denver Zoning Code, the former Chapter 59 (the "old" zoning code)
- Creating roofing permits to track green building compliance including relevant roof details in coordination with the assigned Architectural/Structural Plans Reviewer and Green Building Architectural/Structural Specialist.
- Interpreting and explaining a wide range of code requirements, permit application procedures, policies, and standards for the public, professional design consultants, project managers, contractors, city directors/managers/staff, and elected officials
- Preparing reports and documents based on business metrics within the work unit for management review or distribution within a network of departments and agencies that rely on the updated permit approvals and may calculate permit fees based on permit guidelines.
- Communicating with customers and answering general and specific inquiries with regards to the Green Buildings Ordinance, including assisting development and ownership teams in identifying compliance pathways that best fit project priorities and parameters.
- Coordinating with inspection teams on requirements on permitted plans and typical inspection techniques and criteria for completing these unique inspections.
- Collaborating with the Green Building Architectural/Structural Specialist on detailed updates within Accela, login requirements, permitting procedures, inspection procedures, tracking, and coordination across multiple city departments to facilitate and ensure that immediate and long-term compliance and enforcement are consistently and reliably achieved, including for special case sites and projects.
- Collaborating with the Green Building Architectural/Structural Specialist on consideration of updates to the Green Buildings Ordinance as appropriate, as base code new and existing building energy efficiency and renewable energy requirements advance to support Denver's 2035 Net Zero Energy New Buildings goal.
Please include a cover letter and resume in a single PDF with your application.About You
Our ideal candidate:
- Two years of experience in Planning, Architecture, Engineering, Building Construction, or Construction Project Management performing building and/or zoning plan review in a municipal/public sector for conformance with code regulations
- Familiar with green building certification programs, such as LEED
- Experience working with the International Building Code, International Existing Building Code and the International Energy Conservation Code
- Familiar with energy modelling for code compliance and/or predicted building performance, and associated metrics such as energy use intensity and predicted energy use intensity
- Experience ensuring compliance with building and zoning codes, standards, rules and/or regulations for permits to the public in a municipal setting. This may include ensuring forms and applications are complete and accurate, working with customers on compliance issues, researching codes and regulations for specific language and requirements, and verifying licenses and certifications.
- Experience using automated project tracking systems such as Accela or any other electronic permitting systems or programs
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and SharePoint preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Efficiently demonstrates excellent time/work management skills
- Works well under pressure and be adaptable
- Able to multi-task with frequent interruptions
- Problem solver that can envision various outcomes and plan accordingly to mitigate risky outcomes
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized
- Self-motivated and motivated to help others
- Ability to work as part of a team to support both internal and external customers
- Enjoys collaborating as well as working independently
- Dependable and can maintain confidentiality
- Passionate about and committed to collaboratively supporting the Denver building community in achieving long term goals for higher performing buildings as part of successful, affordable development and property ownership 4
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning, or a related field.
- Experience: Three (3) years of plans review experience reviewing blueprints and plans for zoning and construction projects with regard to the compliance of zoning and construction codes and regulations.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
- License/Certifications: Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
CE3049 Plans Review Specialist II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$29.46 - $43.01
Based on education and experience
Community Planning & Development
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here