COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES PROBATION DEPARTMENT
FIRST DAY OF FILING: JULY 26, 2019 AT 8:00 AMFILING DATE:
JULY 26, 2019 - UNTIL THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE ARE MET AND IS SUBJECT TO CLOSURE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICETYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open CompetitiveJob OpportunityDEFINITION:
Plans, conducts, interprets and evaluates original research projects involving complex experimental designs in the field of behavioral and social sciences.
Essential Job Functions
- Develops original research hypotheses directed toward the improvement of County services in areas such as mental health, probation, welfare services and human relations.
- Plans, designs, conducts and evaluates research projects involving complex experimental designs such as univariate and multi-variate analysis of variance, standard and inverse factor analysis and discriminant function.
- Devises data processing procedures that make use of high speed computers and works with computer personnel in the programming and processing of data.
- Prepares reports and recommendations based on research findings.
- Consults with other departmental professional and administrative personnel in the development of study designs, the execution of the studies and the practical application of the results of research projects.
- Consults and maintains collaborative relationships with external agencies and partners (e.g. Universities, Colleges, RAND Corp.) concerning research problems, studies and to develop a research agenda.
- Trains and supervises technical and clerical personnel in connection with research projects.
- Uses statistical research software such as SAS, SPSS, ArcGIS, and GIS to perform complex data analysis and produce reports.
- Defines data requirements, gathers and validates information, applies judgment and statistical tests.
- Plans, develops, and maintains research, data and related databases and systems.
- Plans and designs complex research projects focusing on community engagement and policy analysis using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Conducts extensive literature reviews to contextualize the current knowledge and methodologies of a topic and provides a critical evaluation using multiple sources such as online journal databases, Federal/Local government websites and other internet sources.
- Contextualizes and presents data in compelling graphics for Department staff, community stakeholders, and decision-makers.
- Evaluates juvenile and adult justice systems and programs to ensure quality and effectiveness of services provided.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:Option I:
A Ph.D. or other doctoral degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in a field of the behavioral - OR - social sciences* - AND - One year's post-doctoral research experience including responsibility for the design, evaluation and implementation of research projects in a behavioral or social science field.Option II:
Master's degree in a field of the behavioral or social sciences and any combination of relevant education and/or experience totalingfive (5) years.PHYSICAL CLASS:
2 - Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- Proficiency in specialized statistical research software such as SAS, SPSS, ArcGIS, and GIS.
- Experience planning, developing, and maintaining research, data and related databases and systems.
- Research experience working with qualitative and quantitative methods, trend data, cross-sectional data, conducting predictive analytics, and utilizing research data and management techniques.
- Published research in peer review publications related to public administration, behavioral sciences or social science.
- Experience conducting literature reviews to contextualize the current knowledge and methodologies of a topic and provide a critical evaluation using multiple sources such as online journal databases, Federal/Local government websites and other internet sources.
- Knowledge of survey and administrative data sources from a variety of fields.
- Strong ability to contextualize and present data in compelling graphics for Department staff, community stakeholders, and decision-makers.
- Experience in designing and conducting complex research projects focusing on community engagement and policy analysis.
- Experience in evaluating juvenile and adult justice systems and programs.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with external agencies and partners (e.g. Universities, Colleges, RAND Corp.) to develop a research agenda.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong ability to prioritize multiple assignments, supervise and manage the work of a team of researchers, work proactively and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
*In order to receive credit for any degree, such as aMaster's degree, Ph.D or other doctoral degree, you must indicate on the job application and attach a legible copy of the official diploma or official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization and degreeawardedand conferred date with Registrar's signature and/or school seal with your application at the time of filing, or within 15 calendar days ofonline application submission oryour application may be rejected.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an Evaluation of Experience based on application information, desirable qualifications,and supplemental questionnaire, weighted 100%.
Candidates who do not achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on theEvaluation ofExperience will be notified by mail. SCORES CANNOT BE GIVEN OVER THE PHONE.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on theEvaluation of Experiencein order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
FINGERPRINTING AND SECURITY CLEARANCE
A thorough background investigation will be conducted prior to appointment.Any false statement or omission of material fact may cause forfeiture of employment rights. Information presented on the employment application, resume, and during the examination process is subject to verification.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
Copies of supporting documentation of selection requirements and qualifications, including relevant research experience, such as research projects, peer review publications, research papers, including published research project(s) may be requested for review at any point of the recruitment process and subject to verification and rejection of application.
Candidates who are found unsuitable for employment will be removed from the eligible register pursuant to Civil Service Rule 6.04.
All applicants must enter a current/updated EMAIL
address at the time of filing as NOTICES MAY BE SENT BY EMAIL OR MAIL.
Entering an invalid mailing/email address may result in the rejection of your application during the examination process. To update information, applicants must make changes to their profile at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty .VACANCY INFORMATION:
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies located in the Los Angeles County Probation Department.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed online via NEOGOV electronic submission ONLY. Applications submitted by US Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
To apply for this examination, click on the "Apply
" button located on this posting. Your application must be submitted electronically by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing. Visit the NEOGOV website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty .
Applicants may upload required or additional documents (i.e. copy of degree, certification, etc.) as attachment(s) at the time of filing. If you are unable to attach the required and/or additional documents at the time of filing, you may email to email@example.com 15 calendar days ofonline application submission oryour application may be rejected. Please include your name, examination number, and examination title on the email.
Fill out your application completely. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. All information is subject to verification.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES: For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD: All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record and will result in an automatic rejection of your application.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have CLEARLY shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS. Please fill out the application completely and correctly to receive full credit for any related education, training, and job experience. In the space provided for education, include the names and addresses of schools attended, titles of courses completed, date completed, and number of credit and/or certificates earned. All information and records are subject to verification. Applications may be rejected at any stage of the selection process.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE COMPLETE INFORMATION INCLUDING THE NAME(S) AND ADDRESS/ES OF YOUR EMPLOYER(S), YOUR JOB TITLE(S); BEGINNING AND ENDING DATES; THE FUNCTIONS PERFORMED INCLUDING A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR ROLE, LEVEL OF INVOLVEMENT, INDEPENDENCE, AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE SIZE OF YOUR ORGANIZATION, COMPLEXITY AND LEVEL OF ACCOUNTABILITY RELATED TO YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND ACCEPTANCE INTO THE EXAMINATION PROCESS.Department Contact Name:
Probation Examinations & Recruitment Unit, Non-Sworn ExamsDepartment Contact Number:
(562) 940-2659Department Contact Email:
firstname.lastname@example.orgCalifornia Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922ADA Coordinator Phone:
(562) 940-3764Teletype Phone: