MAINTENANCE AIDE I/II - Parks Maintenance & Irrigation (CSS IV)Department:
Parks &Community ServicesHours:
Approximately 20 - 40 hours/week (1000 hours maximum per fiscal year)Wages:
Temporary Part Time, No benefits. General work hours vary, and candidates must be available to work on weekends and occasional evenings as assigned. Applicants will be screened according to experience most relevant to this position. Those most qualified will be invited to an individual or group interview.Definition:
Maintenance Aides perform a variety of tasks in the maintenance and repair of parks, playgrounds, landscaped areas, irrigation systems, and public facilities while under supervision of the Park Supervisors.Examples of Duties Essential functions may include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain plantings and grounds, recreation and play areas, and irrigation systems by manual labor and/orwith the assistance of small power tools, such as hedge clippers, weedeaters and trimmers. Perform general grounds cleaning, including pickingup rubbish and paper.
- Plant, water, weed, trim, renovate, and fertilize lawns, shrubs, trees, and flower beds. Spade andotherwise cultivate ground around plants and shrubs, including mixing andapplying fertilizers.
- Rake leaves, clean walks,fields, courts, and other facilities; load trimmings on trucks. Maintainand prepare athletic fields.
- Drive vehicles used to transport materials, tools, and equipment as required; clean and maintainpark maintenance equipment
- Assist in moving and installingpark and recreation equipment such as bleachers, backstops, and playgroundequipment.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and the publicusing principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a valid California Class C driver's license.
- Must have formal or informal education or training that ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- Knowledge of basic principles and practices of work safety.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to demonstrate energy, enthusiasm, and creativity in the job position.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships and communication with co-workers, other City staff and community members.
Basic methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in park maintenance work. Principles and practices of work safety. Basic construction and repair methods. Familiarity or knowledge of basic customer service skills and techniques is highly desirable.Ability to:
Perform heavy manual labor. On a continuous basis, know and understand operations and observe safety rules, identify and locate equipment, remember equipment location. Learn to operate a variety of small power tools. Understand and follow oral and written instructions.Ability to demonstrate good judgment, problem solving and critical thinking skills is desirable. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.Experience and Training
Must be at least 18 years of age, and have education equivalent to completion of high school
Formal or informal education or training that ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.License or Certificate
Possession of an appropriate California driver's license.Physical/Sensory Requirements
Intermittently sit, bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist when performing installation of equipment; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation; lift or carry weight of 75 pounds or less. Work both indoors and out with exposure to weather, traffic, dust, pollen. Must be able to exercise appropriate caution when working in or near parks, greenbelts and pedestrian or traffic areas.Supplemental InformationTo Apply:
A City of Davis online employment application must be submitted to be considered for these positions; paper applications will not be accepted . To apply, please go online at www.cityofdavis.org .FINAL FILING DATE:
Once the first 50 qualified applications are received. Applicants will be notified via email of their application status.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
The City of Davis encourages applications from qualified women and minorities. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability or sexual preference.NOTES
Information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and the provisions are subject to change. According to the Federal Reform and Control Act, the City of Davis is required to hire only U.S. citizens or aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
If you require accommodation during any phase of this recruitment process, please contact theHuman Resources office at (530)757-5644 or TDD(530)757-5666.
The City of Davis has a no smoking policy for all city facilities.