DescriptionThe City of Palo Alto Utilities
Palo Alto is the only city in California that offers a full array of utility services to its citizens and businesses. Because of this, the City has a unique opportunity to partner with the Palo Alto community to enjoy the benefits and achievements of reliable, home-grown, and environmentally-focused utilities. Palo Alto has a tradition of over 100 years of successful public utility operations. It is a tradition that continues to provide the Palo Alto community with safe and reliable utilities service, local decision-making over policies, utility rate-making, environmental programs, and customized services.The Position
The primary role of a Lineman/Cable Splicer is to install, maintain and repair high-powered electrical lines and systems as well as construct, maintain and repair overhead and underground electrical systems. The incumber is expected to climb power poles and steels towers in addition to performing rubber glove work on voltages up to 21,000 volts.The Ideal Candidate
- Have knowledge and the ability to demonstrate safe work practices and take initiative when needed.
- Be a team player and resourceful.
- Work through challenges and problem solve through difficult situations.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service skills including displaying patience and tact when interactingwith internal and external customers.
- Have the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
This position is part of the Service Employees' International Union (SEIU).Essential Duties
- Climbs power poles and steel towers.
- Works on energized lines, low voltage and high voltage.
- Constructs, maintains and repairs overhead and underground electrical system and equipment up to 60 KV.
- Performs high voltage field switching, including working with energized high voltage equipment with approved hotline tools.
- Performs rubber glove work on voltages up to and including 21,000 volts.
- Drives and operates specialized vehicular equipment.
- Required to work on ladders, and at times, out of an aerial lift bucket.
- May be assigned to work on utility service truck to perform disconnect reconnects and other related assignments.
To review the full job description, go here Minimum Qualifications
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities which would typically be acquired through:
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
- Completion of an apprenticeship as an electrical lineperson.
- Employees may be required to be available for standby after successfully completing the probationary period and/or considered qualified to do so by supervisory personnel.
- Employees may be required to work outside their regularly scheduled hours, to be available for emergency and/or pre-arranged work.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License or the ability to obtain a Class A Driver's License within first six months of appointment.
- Ability to become qualified to rubber glove voltages up to and including 21,000 volts within six months of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous