This is an excellent opportunity to work for the Community Services Department
working under the direction of the Cultural Services Supervisor at the Huntington Beach Art Center.
The ideal candidate must possess:
This position is a Non-Perm, Part-Time position.
- Skills necessary to perform responsible professional duties related to administration, design, marketing, public information, social media, website management and excellent customer service skills.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 - June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restriction apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Responsible for creating an overall marketing strategy, promotion of programs and activities by developing newsletters, brochures, and media/public relations materials
- Responsible for website management and social media implementation
- Assist with administrative functions including database management, membership processing, special activities and events planning
- May supervise volunteers assigned to support functions
- May be assigned oversight of one or more Cultural Services programs and other duties as required.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Any combination of education, training, and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform in the position is qualifying. A typical combination includes: Knowledge of:
- The principles and practices of arts marketing, graphic design and non-profit structure
- Contemporary art issues and understanding of the broad role of a community art center.
- Work with a diversity of individuals and community groups on a wide range of projects/programs
- Develop and present ideas and recommendations effectively, both orally and in writing
- Work as part of a team and be available to work unusual schedules including evenings and weekends.
A bachelors degree is required, preferably in art, communication, or related field.Experience:
Three years directly related experience required. Two years working for a nonprofit organization or municipality and experience in a cultural arts organization is highly desirable.License:
By time of appointment, must have a valid California motor vehicle operator's license. Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle.CPR/First Aid Certificates:
Must be obtained within 3 months of appointment. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
- An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to an oral interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement drug screen, TB Screening, California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting, and reference check must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.