Examples of Duties This recruitment is being established to obtain a current eligible list for both full time and Extra-Help vacancies.
Extra-Help pay rate is $15.72 - $17.18 per hour. Extra-Help are not entitled to county benefits and are limited to a maximum of 25 hours per week.
Bilingual in Spanish is highly desirable.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Checks and reviews a variety of information and documents for completeness and conformance with established regulations and procedures.
- Perform civil marriage ceremonies.
- Administer oaths, file bonds, and maintain indexes of public officials.
- Determines, collects, and record various fees for services, and makes deposits.
- Perform a variety of duties in connection with general and special elections.
- Check initiative and referendum petitions for conformance to legal requirements.
- Sorts, files and records voting information on affidavits of registration.
- Assists with preparation of publications for newspaper.
- Process absentee voter applications.
- May issue certificates of election results to local jurisdictions and Board of Supervisors.
- Assists with the printing of all election notices, ballots and voter indexes.
- Answers inquiries in person and over the phone regarding Registrar of Voters, and Elections procedures.
- Coordinates polling locations and precinct worker selection and training, processes payroll for precinct workers.
- Coordinates annexation, redistricting and precinct mapping.
- Conducts legal research, and gather statistics for a variety reports.
- Provides lead direction and training to other staff assigned to the County Clerk Registrar of Voters office.
Minimum Qualifications Elections Specialist I
Two (2) years of complex clerical experience in a professional office setting. Education:
None Required. Desirable:
Experience involving elections functions. Elections Specialist II
Three (3) years of experience performing duties comparable to an Elections Specialist I in Merced County. Education:
None required. FAMILY CARE LEAVE
Family Care Leave applies to all employees who work 1250 or more hours in any twelve month period.
HEALTH PLANS AND LIFE INSURANCE
Extra-help employees are not entitled to County-paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, Employee Assistance Program benefits and are not eligible to participate in the Deferred Compensation Plan.
Extra-help employees are not entitled to pay or receive reimbursement from the County for Jury Duty.
PAID TIME BENEFITS
Extra-help employees are not entitled to paid bereavement, vacation, or holidays.
PAID SICK LEAVE
Extra-help employees are entitled to accrue up to three (3) paid sick days (24 hours) in a 12-month period.
Extra-help employment earnings are not covered under Social Security. Merced County provides an alternate plan - Public Agency Retirement Services (PARS) - for extra-help employees who are otherwise not eligible for participation in the County's retirement system.
The County does provide benefits to those eligible under the State Workers Compensation and Unemployment Insurance statutes.
THIS BULLETIN IS NOT A CONTRACT AND DOES NOT CREATE CONTRACTUAL OR LEGAL RIGHTS ON BEHALF OF ANY EMPLOYEE. THIS BULLETIN IS SUBJECT OF BEING SUPPLEMENTED, MODIFIED, WITHDRAWN OR OTHERWISE CHANGED PENDING LABOR AGREEMENTS AND/OR AT THE DISCRETION OF THE COUNTY EXECUTIVE OFFICER OR AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS DEEM NECESSARY.
For answers to specific questions regarding employee benefits, please call Human Resources at 209.385.7682.
Can you effectively communicate in any of the following languages: Spanish, Hmong, Punjabi or Chinese?
If you answered yes to question 1, please specify which language from the options below:
- None of the Above
Describe your computer experience using various software applications and the types of documents you have created using these applications.