**** THIS POSTING WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED. FIRST REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED WILL BE ON NOVEMBER 1, 2019. ****
The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Senior Planner
to fill one (1) vacancy in the Planning Division
of the Community and Economic Development Department .
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for this Department for up tosix (6)months.
The Community and Economic Development Departmentis seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to perform advanced-level professional planning work on theAdvancedPlanning Team. The Senior Planner will be responsible for overseeing long-range planning projects and supervising the work of subordinate professional,para-professional, and technical staff in a fast paced environment. The ideal candidate will be a skilled project manager with a proven ability to foster effective working relationships with members of the community, city personnel, project consultants, and local/regional agencies. Excellent customer service skills in communicating and providing technical assistance is critical.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reviews and processes comprehensive plan amendments, re-zonings, annexations, site plans and development applications associated with a project.
- Prepares and/or supervises the preparation of environmental assessments and staff reports related to legislative applications and land use entitlements requiring discretionary approval.
- Makes recommendations on development permits and presents them to the Development Review Committee, Planning Commission, and City Council.
- Review construction and grading plans for compliance with the City's Municipal Code and, if applicable, project specific conditions of approval.
- Conducts research and prepares statistical reports on land use, social, and economic issues.
- Supervises and provides guidance to junior level planners on the review of development entitlements.
- Supervises and participates in special planning, zoning, and environmental studies.
- Monitors state and federal legislation for changes to planning, environmental, and transportation laws.
- Develops requests for proposals; manages consultant contracts associated with assigned planning projects; develops work programs and methodologies; oversees consultants' budgets; and establishes project schedules.
- Reviews and comments on planning proposals of outside jurisdictions that may impact the City.
- Advises and assists City and management officials on community planning issues and problems, pending cases, and application of established City policies and ordinances.
- Coordinates planning and development activities with other City departments and outside entities.
- Meets and advises developers, residents, business and property owners regarding development applications and processes.
- Represents the Community & Economic Development Department at public meetings and works with various groups and individuals regarding a variety of planning and zoning matters.
- Coordinates planning related activities with other City departments, divisions, and with outside agencies.
- May supervise, train and evaluate professional, para-professional, technical and clerical personnel.
- Performs field inspections to gather data relevant to the development applications and to verify compliance with approved plans.
- May attend evening and weekend meetings.
- May act as Principal Planner in his/her absence.
Qualifications Option I
Education : Master's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning or a closely related field.
Experience : Three years of professional planning experience.Option II
Education : Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning or a closely related field.
Experience : Four years of professional planning experience.Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Professional Planning experiencein a California municipality of similar size to the City of Riverside.
- Experience presenting to Planning Commission(s), City Council and community engagement meetings.
- Experience preparing and amending General Plans, Zoning codes, and Specific Plans.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED :
1) COMPLETED ONLINE APPLICATION
2) SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process.This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.