Under the supervision of the Support Services Supervisor, is responsible for determining that contractors applying for building permits have either a State license or have been issued a Certificate of Competency by the City's Contractors Review Board.Also responsible for verifying that contractors have obtained the required Liability and Workers Compensation Insurance.Also assists citizens with the processes of application, review and approval for building permits and inspections.Employee is responsible for administrative/clerical work in relation to regulatory standards, inspection activities, and permitting and licensing functions for building construction throughout the City.Performs other essential duties in support of departmental objectives to ensure safety, health and general welfare of the general public and business community.Duties
Required Education, Experience, License, Registration, and Certification Qualifications
- Assists contractors seeking to do business on Sanibel in completing the proper Certificate of Competency Class Application forms or Contractor Information Sheet, if State Certified.Ensures proper completion of the required licensing forms prior to acceptance and that credit reports, liability and workers' compensation insurance are current
- Schedules Certificate of Competency Class applicants for review by the City's Contractors' Review Board
- Prepares the agenda and takes and transcribes minutes for the City's Contractors' Review Board
- Oversees the City of Sanibel Sponsor Site examinations for licensing
- Prepares and maintains all contractor licensing files and issues contractors' competency cards.Orders files from off-site storage and facilitates payment
- Collaborates with Inspectors to schedule inspections, perform data entry tasks, and issue the appropriate documentation with compliance to established building codes and regulations
- Coordinates commercial and private inspections notifies appropriate work units, e.g., data entry, records keeping, filing, basic calculations, typing
- Receives telephone inquiries ascertains the nature of the call, and resolves personally or directs it to the appropriate individual or department
- Updates and maintains contractor insurance requirements and generates notices of insurance expiration
- Provides the public and departmental requests with resources and interpretation of the various codes for which the division is responsible for enforcing
- Performs various fiscal tasks, e.g., assists with annual budget preparation, monitors inventory and expenditures, prepares purchase orders, procures supplies as needed
- Receives and distributes all inward and outward inter-office mail
- Assists supervisor with pre and post hurricane Structural Safety Teams and coordination of documentation and updating office forms
High School Diploma or GED; supplemented by three (3) to four (4) years progressively responsible secretarial/customer service experience.
Exceptional computer skills required.
Notary Public Certification.
NOTE:As a condition of employment, the employee must be readily available to work during severe weather emergencies or similar events.Supplemental or Additional InformationLANGUAGE SKILLS
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
Ability to write simple correspondence.
Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.REASONING ABILITY
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.