Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on October 23, 2019 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
The County of San Mateo Department of Public Works
is seeking to fill the Department's current vacant County Surveyor
The County Surveyor
oversees the operation and function of the survey unit in the Public Works Department; performs difficult and complex professional land surveying work involving responsible charge duties in the field or office; assigns, monitors and reviews the work of survey parties; provides assistance and/or direction to professional and technical staff; and performs other related work as required.
The ideal candidate
for this position will possess and/or be able to provide the following:
- Strong leadership qualities to foster teamwork and a positive work environment.
- Excellent communication and public presentation skills.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with direct reports, co-workers, managers, vendors, stakeholders and customers.
- Hands-on experience using computer aided drafting software, such as AutoCAD, SoftDesk, LDD, and Civil 3D to draft survey mapping documents.
- Being progressive in updating/refining business processes as they relate to Surveying and Mapping as well as document retrieval and preservation.
- Is well organized andcan manage and prioritize multiple assignments of varying complexity and sensitivity effectively.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform the duties of a County Surveyor under the direction of the Director of Public Works.
- Analyzes available data and makes decisions of a professional nature as defined by the State Land Surveyors Act relating to surveying projects.
- Direct the activities of a field survey party and office engineering technical staff.
- Reviews and certifies subdivision map applications, plans, and survey records submitted by private and government surveyors for compliance with the State Land Surveyors Act, the State Subdivision Map Act and County Ordinances.
- Performs field and office survey work required in the preparation of Record of Survey maps, subdivision maps, corner records, deed descriptions and plot plans for County projects.
- Establishes guidelines to maintain professional, technical, and legal standards mandated by State law.
- Establishes and enforces safety rules for the safety of crews and the safety of the public.
- Coordinates with County Public Works inspectors, private surveyors and other engineers and job contractors on survey projects.
- Prepares the annual equipment budget and makes recommendations for the purchase of necessary surveying equipment.
- Supervises the maintenance of official records, maps, and survey reports and the preparation of related reports.
- Writes and checks boundary legal descriptions and performs other professional duties which require a licensed land surveyor.
- Makes regular contacts with the general public, other departments, contractors, private surveyors, and outside organizations relative to municipal mapping and survey practices and procedures.
- May represent the department at public hearings and before the Board of Supervisors and various commissions.
- Prepares reports as required.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- All phases of land survey work including methods of conducting various types of surveys such as Global Positioning System (GPS), automated data collection control surveys, and construction surveys.
- Survey techniques, mathematics and basic science as applied to surveying and mapping functions.
- Principles and practices of Civil Engineering as applied to surveying and design and construction of public works projects.
- Mapping and drafting techniques.
- The Land Surveyor's Act, Subdivision Map Act and other laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to land survey and subdivision map processing in the County.
- Principles and practices of boundary determination and surveying.
- Legal descriptions of real property.
- Methods and terminology used in searching for land titles and factors involved in determining ownership of property.
- Safety practices and procedures applicable to survey work.
- The application of survey information, which includes familiarity with computer-aided drafting and design systems.
- Principles and practices of supervision and administration.
Education and Experience:
- Perform and direct complex field and office survey and mapping work.
- Interpret and apply the provisions of the Land Surveyor's Act, Subdivision Map Act and County Ordinances pertaining to land.
- Plan, assign, direct, monitor, and evaluate the work of subordinates.
- Develop, administer and interpret related policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Read and interpret drawings, maps and documents related to land surveying.
- Research land titles and determine ownership of property.
- Interpret and evaluate legal descriptions of real property.
- Maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with the public and other government officials.
- Prepare clear and comprehensive reports and technical correspondence.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Adhere to performance standards related to land surveying.
- Operate a computer and use computer-aided drafting and design systems.
- Perform extensive physical work in all kinds of terrain and weather.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
- Education:Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in Land Surveying or Civil Engineering or successful completion of the Land Surveyor-in-Training (L.S.I.T.) or Engineer-in-Training (E.I.T.) certificates.
- Experience:Five years of progressively responsible professional land surveying experience including two years of experience supervising one or more survey crews.
- Possession of a valid license as a Land Surveyor from the State of California.
- Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. Resume or CV will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions.Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview(weight: 100%)which may include the evaluation of a brief written and/or performance exercise given immediately preceding the interview.Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the'Apply'
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttps://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE Final Filing Date:
TBDPanel Interview (Tentative):
TBDAt the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: XimenaBurns(092619) (County Surveyor - D228)