An entry level planner position that receives day-to-day direction from the Principal Planner and oversight from the Planning Division Manager.This position completes basic to complex planning and zoning related tasks and projects including development case review, walk-in customer service, development coordination and communication.This position collaborates and cooperates with the citizens of Oro Valley, Town officials and departments, and outside agencies and individuals to provide the Division's services to internal and external customers. Excellent customer service and coordination with other Divisions and agencies are critical components of this position.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Key essential functions include: Front-line planning services to a wide variety of customers using excellent customer service skills along with the ability to balance multiple projects, be a proactive communicator and the aptitude to learn skills and procedures on-the-job. Additional detail includes:
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Reviews, researches and evaluates planning and development projects including but not limited to site plans, subdivision plats,architectural reviews and work plan projects.
- Applies the General Plan and Zoning Code requirements and assists applicants through the development process.
- Assists general public with basic information regarding current projects, town procedures and general planner-on-duty requests.
- Researches and gathers information from archives, other Town departments and outside sources.
- Responds to requests for assistance or guidance from assigned staff, other departments, citizens or the Town Council.
- Attends meetings, including evening meetings, and training sessions.
- Composes, writes, and reviews notices, letters and reports of research findings, analysis, recommendations, diagrams and presentations.
- Grasps the purpose and function of information technology systems in managing the planning, development, implementation, and records management systems for development related services.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively to provide the highest level of quality seamless customer service for both internal and external customers.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive inquiries, complaints and requests in a positive, open, creative and customer service centric manner.
- Foster teamwork between divisions within the department and other Town departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of applicable Town, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations governing planning and zoning.
- Knowledge of permitting guidelines and regulations.
- Knowledge of planning, zoning and environmental documentation methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of computer software programs including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation tools.
- Skill in writing zoning code text for suburban and urban applications.
- Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks to consistently meet deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
- Ability to be an active, positive and contributing team member of the Department.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff, other Town departments, applicants, and the general public.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- A Bachelors degree in Planning, Urban Design, Architecture or related field such as Landscape Architecture.
- Two (2) years experience in a professional work environment, planning or zoning preferred; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Directions for Applying
- Work is performed in an indoor environment.
- Field inspections or site tours using Town vehicles may be required.
Please make sure your application is complete by filling in the education and work experience sections of the application.
If you meet the minimum requirements, submit a completed Town of Oro Valley application which can be supplemented with a resume and cover letter.
If you experience any difficulties submitting your application please call 1-855-524-5627 for customer support.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous