Description Note: The job posting was updated on 2019-09-23 and 2019-10-09 to reflect the currentvacancy details.
San Mateo County Health is seeking a well-qualified, Spanish-speaking Health Benefits Analyst (HBA)
, for the Health Coverage Unit, to perform a variety of tasks involved in determining eligibility and enrollment in healthcare financial assistance programs for families and individuals including screening and assisting with the application process for County, State and Federal health insurance programs; determine initial and continuing eligibility for one or more programs in accordance with established procedures; and coordinating and conducting outreach, enrollment, retention and utilization activities. Incumbents may be assigned to the San Mateo County Health, Health Plan of San Mateo, or San Mateo Medical Center, which includes outlying clinics in various locations throughout the County.
This is anExtra Help
position. The successful hire will work at least two days per week at various locations throughout the county and will provide public health coverage enrollment assistance to San Mateo County residents.
Under general supervision, Health Benefits Analysts are responsible for interviewing clients, assessing client financial status and determining eligibility for healthcare financial assistance programs. They are expected to have full knowledge of regulations and procedures, work with independence of action and use judgment in making decisions. If hired at the Health Benefits Analyst I level, incumbents receive training in the methods used in interviewing clients and assessing client financial status, and learn regulations and procedures for determining eligibility for healthcare financial assistance programs, and are expected to promote to the journey level upon gaining experience and demonstrating the required competencies.
The ideal candidate
will be able to work with clients to ensure eligibility for and enrollment in healthcare programs; work independently with minimal supervision using initiative and sound independent judgment; communicate effectively verbally and in writing; use Spanish speaking skills in providing services; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. The ideal candidate should also have relative knowledge and experience in the eligibility and enrollment processes for various public health coverage programs.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Health Benefits Analyst I
is the entry and trainee level. Under immediate supervision, incumbents receive training in the methods used in interviewing clients and assessing client financial status, and learn regulations and procedures for determining eligibility for healthcare financial assistance programs. They are expected to promote to the journey level upon gaining experience and demonstrating the required competencies.Health Benefits Analyst II
is the journey level in the Health Benefits Analyst series. Under general supervision, incumbents are responsible for interviewing clients, assessing client financial status and determining eligibility for healthcare financial assistance programs. They are expected to have full knowledge of regulations and procedures, work with independence of action and use judgment in making decisionsNOTE:
This list will be used for extra-help hire only.NOTE:
This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis.Some extra help positions are eligible for benefitsundertheAffordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Qualifications Language Requirement:
The ability to speak, read, and write fluently in both English and Spanish required. Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
- Health Benefits Analyst I: Two years of clerical or public contact work which involved responsibility for interviewing and recordkeeping, OR two years of college level coursework.
- Health Benefits Analyst II: One year of experience performing assessment, placement and/or healthcare financial assistance eligibility work within the last five years.
- Public and community resources and programs.
- The interrelationships of the various disciplines in the health and human services field.
- Interviewing techniques.
- County, State and Federal healthcare financial assistance program policies and regulations.
- Office procedures and practices, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment.
- Basic record keeping principles and practices.
- Automated systems.
- Workload planning and prioritizing techniques.
- Organize and maintain a heavy workload on a current basis and within set deadlines.
- Follow instructions.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Work well under pressure.
- Work in accordance with established guidelines.
- Make independent decisions.
- Assume responsibility for assigned tasks.
- Deal effectively with divergent needs of customers.
- Interpret and apply laws, rules and regulations.
- Prepare, maintain and interpret reports and records.
Application/Examination This is an extra-help recruitment. Anyone may apply.
If you are interested in being considered forthis Extra Help
position, the following materials must be electronically submitted in a Word or PDF format.
- Cover letterthat in addition to a personal narrative, includes why you are interested in the position.
Please include the words"Health Benefits Analyst I/II - Spanish-Speaking Required - Extra Help
"in the subject lineof email submission. Please submit the required materials electronically via email to:Marmi Bermudez, Senior Manager for Health Coverage, Eligibility and Authorizationsmcbermudez@smcgov.orgThis is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Wendy Young (091619) (Health Benefits Analyst I/II - E483/E484)
Keywords:health benefits, insurance eligibility, customer service, health insurance