Salary: $64,628.88 - $84,757.20 Annually
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
TRANSFER OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS NOT PROMOTIONAL OR OPEN COMPETITIVE
Olive View-UCLA Medical Center
14445 Olive View Drive
Sylmar, CA 91342
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest health system in the nation, providing compassionate, quality care through its integrated system of hospitals and community-based clinics. DHS annually cares for about 600,000 unique patients, employs over 22,000 staff and has an annual operating budget of $4.3 billion. DHS leads the County's effort to provide health services to the residents of Los Angeles County, of which approximately two million are uninsured. DHS hospitals also conduct post-graduate medical education through university affiliations for interns, residents and fellows to train the physician workforce for tomorrow.
Our mission is to ensure access to high-quality, patient-centered, cost-effective health care to Los Angeles County residents through direct services at DHS facilities and through collaboration with community and university partners.
Essential Job Functions
• Analyzes and may assemble health information for completeness, accuracy, consistency, and compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, state and federal laws, regulations, departmental and hospital policies and procedures, and The Joint Commission standards.
• May respond to subpoenas and other requests fordisclosure of health and/or mental health records, which require proficient knowledge of laws and regulations related to the maintenance and release of confidential and sensitive information.
•Seeks clarification, correction, and/or completion of health information from responsible physicians, nurses, laboratories, and other clinical staff.
• Confirms pathologies, dates, and times of treatments and procedures, and abstracts patients health information.
• Abstracts and codes extensive and difficult health information such as complex surgical procedures and other complex medical treatments, sequences diagnoses and procedures, and consults medical coding resources to assign the correct Diagnosis Related Groups to a patient's record.
• Enters coded medical data into the health information system and selects diagnoses and procedures codes from designated computer-based coding systems.
•Coordinates health information system updates to assure current codes are maintained for accurate billing and reporting, and completes claim and administrative forms when necessary.
• Effectively utilizes ICD-CM, ICD-PCS, CPT/HCPCS nomenclature,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, and other coding systems to maximize reimbursements and assure conformity with The Joint Commission and departmental standards.
• Contributes to the data integrity of health and mental health records by identifying and correcting missing or incorrectly completed administrative or clinical documentation, incorrect diagnosis codes, and duplicate records to ensure accurate reimbursement and the highest quality data possible.
• May provide guidance and direction to clerical staff and other Health Information Management personnel engaged in reviewing health information for completeness, consistency, compliance with laws, and departmental and facility regulations.
• Abstracts error reports from State and Federal agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and prepares CDC and State-mandated reports when necessary.
• Strong writing and communication skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with other agencies
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
The position is open to all permanent County of Los Angeles employees who have successfully completed their initial probationary period and currently hold the payroll title of Health Information Technician.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY.
Candidates interested in this Transfer Opportunity should attach thefollowing totheironline application:
1. Resume detailing relevant experience
2. Copies of last two (2) performance evaluations
3. Prime Variance time history report for the last two (2) years
All submitted documents will be evaluated. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager for an interview.
If you are unable to attach the required documents online, you mayemail your information to:
DHS -People Division- Recruitment and Examinations
Phone: (323) 914-9110