Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under general supervision, performs various mechanical and electrical duties in the maintenance and repair of air conditioning, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, boilers and peripheral systems to ensure a comfortable, safe and healthy work environment.Acceptable Experience and Training
- Possession of a two year technical certificate in heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration; and
- Three years of previous experience in the maintenance and repair of heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration systems; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
To verify education, submittal of certification or school transcripts is required by application deadline.Required Special Qualifications
- Possession of a valid First Class Engineer's license;
- Certification as a Universal Refrigerant Technician; and
- Possession of a valid Iowa driver's license, or evidence of equivalent mobility.
To verify certification, submittal of certification is required by application deadline.Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Repairs all air conditioning, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, boilers and peripheral systems equipment; troubleshoots and diagnoses equipment when malfunctions occur and repairs and/or replaces parts as necessary.
- Installs portable equipment such as heating appliances, ventilating equipment, cooling units or evaporative coolers; closed steam systems or hot or chilled water piping within heating or cooling equipment; component parts that do not alter original equipment; and related unit refrigeration systems.
- Operates boiler system to maintain proper water temperature for production of methane gas needed to produce electricity and fuel for boiler system.
- Performs preventative maintenance for all equipment including cleaning, tightening, replacing oil and grease, inspecting components, etc. according to manufacturers guidelines; makes appropriate adjustments to equipment as required.
- Monitors, repairs, and installs pneumatic, electrical and electronic controls to ensure proper operation of control system and adjusts controls to recommended setting.
- Tests equipment using special tools and testing equipment, reviews measurements and makes adjustments to ensure acceptable operation.
- Reviews and interprets blueprints, plans and specifications to determine tolerances and procedures for proper operation and maintenance/repair of equipment.
- Estimates time, parts, tools and equipment needed for repair and maintenance projects and completes appropriate forms to obtain items.
- Performs other rated duties as required.
Closing Date/Time: 10/14/2019 5:00 PM Central