This position will perform various maintenance duties at the community and regional parks. This position will report to the Park Supervisor and will be responsible for adhering to maintenance and safety standards that strengthen the community image and sense of place in all City Parks. This position will possess a strong orientation towards customer service, a stewardship philosophy toward ecosystem management, and will be committed to professional development and perform related duties as required.First review date is September 30, 2019.
The City of Maricopa is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org . Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Minimum and Preferred Entrance QualificationsEducation and Experience
- Basic knowledge of irrigation systems, including timers, sprinkler heads and lines
- Basic knowledge of turf management principles
- Maintain athletic activity areas (including mowing and weed control), fences, benches, drinking fountains, sidewalks and restrooms
- Maintain park by blowing, weed eating and power washing facilities
- Maintain and repairs playground equipment (including safety checks)
- Remove graffiti from park area
- Clean and remove litter from parks, streets, and other public areas
- Operate and/or drives a variety of light and heavy equipment
- Inspect and repair tennis and basketball courts (including safety checks)
- Open and lock public facilities as warranted (e.g. restrooms, concession stands, etc.)
- Plan, organize, schedule, conduct and direct recreation activities at city facilities or other designate facilities
- Lead and enforce program policies and procedures with participants
- Maintain site records, prepare weekly reports, develop program brochures and informational schedules
- Prepare and distribute flyers, posters and other advertisements for City of Maricopa programs
- Other duties as assigned.
- The equivalent of a high school diploma and at least one year experience equivalent to that of a Parks Worker, in supervising youth/adult sports programs and Municipal Park or private landscape companies.
- Pesticide Applicators Certificate, within one year of appointment is required
Competencies for Successful Performance of Job DutiesKnowledge of:
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification and First Aid Course certifications
- Understanding of current Parks and Recreation principles and trends (is desired but not required)
- Tasks require the ability to operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials, commensurate with duties of the position.
- Professional social and interpersonal communication skills, requiring significant internal and external interaction.
- Schedule, coordinate, and manage various projects of varying degrees of difficulty, size and complexity
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and innovation in situations involving evaluation of information.