The Office of Transportation is comprised of a staff of 15.5 team members(15 full time and one part time staff) that are responsible for transportation planning, transportation programs, and the City's transportation infrastructure. The Office of Transportation's mission is to preserve and enhance the quality of life for Palo Alto residents, visitors, and businesses by providing efficient and cost-effective transportation services for all modes of transportation. The department is also responsible for parking management, traffic operations, bikeways development, area transportation studies, regional transit/transportation coordination, and the Palo Alto Free Shuttle system.The Position
This position will report to the Chief Transportation Official and be responsible for providing daily oversight and strategic planning for parking and shuttle programs citywide. This is a hands-on working Manager position that will supervise one full-time and one part-time staff members. Responsibilities will include developing budgets and allocating resources, project management responsibilities, assigning work to staff, and evaluating performance of staff members. This position represents the department and the City at large and must be familiar with parking and transportation issues within the community and the region.This position will implement the parking work plan as well as any new future initiatives that could come from the work plan (such as paid parking). This position will work with the Chief Transportation Official to ensure that the Office of Transportation staff perform responsible professional, financial, and administrative tasks that align with the goals of the office.Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will possess the technical skills to be involved in a wide variety of projects and have excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively with multiple types of constituents on issues relevant to parking and transportation.Incumbents must be comfortable presenting complex issues to a variety of audience types and facilitating complex discussions with various community stakeholders. Thechosen candidate will be knowledgeable of applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations, budgeting principles and practices, Brown Act meeting laws and parliamentary procedures,capital improvement program and project implementation, principles and best practices in services, parking management, shuttle service programs, and transportation demand management.
To review the full job description, go here First review of applications will be on October 1, 2019. Essential Duties
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervises technical and support staff including: prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations, training staff, and making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations in consultation with the Chief Transportation Official, Department Director and Assistant Director. May be involved in overall project direction to help guide individual project managers and prioritize workflow.
- Manages and directs the operations of a section of the team, including: developing policies, principles, procedures, work processes and evaluating achievement against stated objectives.
- Manages multiple disciplines within the Transportation Division, including: parking, shuttle services, safe routes to school, and transportation demand management (TDM). Works with the Chief Transportation Official to develop and evaluate various programs and projects to promote each discipline.
- In consultation with the Chief Transportation Official, assists in the development of a work plan for the Transportation Division, assigning projects to staff and overseeing program implementation. Works with Chief Transportation Official to establish key performance indicators for the division, and oversees the execution of projects in service of these performance indicators.
- Conducts research and prepares reports, investigations, and studies to analyze and evaluate the performance of various division programs and operations.
- Represents the City to the public, to other agencies, and to regional and sub-regional committees, including: conducting public meetings, making presentations, and responding to requests for information. Ensures City staff and the general public are well-informed of the Transpiration Division's various policies and programs.
- Attends, chairs, and conducts a variety of meetings; serves on committees as required; makes presentations to the City Council; represents the Department and makes oral presentations at: meetings, inter-agency meetings, conferences and other events. Represents the City on specific transportation and parking issues on a regional basis. Serves as the division liaison to other departments, coordinating various projects on behalf of staff.
- Prepares and develops Transportation Division budgets, and monitors and approves expenditures in accordance with policies and principles of sound fiscal management. Develops and maintains analytical tools for audit and control of programs.
- Manages consultants and contractors and the budgets for the division.
- Assists the Chief Transportation Official with updating the Transportation Element of the Comprehensive Plan, and ensuring division programs align with the Comprehensive Plan.
- Works with Current Planning and Advance Planning divisions in service of department goals.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge and skills, which would typically be acquired through:
- Bachelor's degree in transportation planning, transportation engineering, civil engineering, urban planning, architecture, or a related field. Master's degree is preferred.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in municipal government including at minimum two years of supervisory experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous