About Our Job
This position is open until Friday, November 15, 2019
Hiring Range: $23.14 - $25.00 Hourly
The Denver Sheriff Department is the largest Sheriff Department agency in the state of Colorado and is comprised of many divisions and diverse operations with over 1000 uniformed and non-uniformed staff members. These operations include two separate jails, security for the District and County court systems, state inmate transportation, extradition duties, fugitive and K-9 units and security at Denver Health Medical Center.
The Denver Sheriff Department has immediate openings for Institutional Food Stewards at the Denver County Jail and the Downtown Detention Center. The Denver Sheriff Department is the third largest criminal justice agency in the State of Colorado and is responsible for the care, custody and transport of prisoners for the City and County of Denver.
Denver Sheriff Department is a 24 hour operation; this position requires shift work including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Successful candidates must complete and pass a background investigation that encompasses the applicant's employment and criminal history.
Job responsibilities will include:
- This position supervises and trains inmate helpers in high-volume food preparation and food service work in the Denver County Jail and the Downtown Detention Center, including proper sanitary procedures and food preparation security.
- Reviews planned menu with supervisor and ensures that sufficient food quantity is on-hand at mealtime. Prepares daily reports of inspections, supplies on hand, safety and security incidents, special diets and total meals served.
- Leads and trains inmates in sanitary procedures used in an institutional kitchen and monitors inmate performance and work area cleanliness to ensure compliance.
- Issues kitchen utensils to inmate helpers and assigns them to a specific work area.
- Prepares reports justifying replacement of inmate helpers based on job performance and security infractions.
- Transports food and supplies to Downtown Detention Center and other locations as needed (Truck Driving Training and Certification provided)
- Manages inventory in warehouse, dry storage, freezers, and coolers. (Forklift training and certification provided)
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Food preparation experience in Retail Restaurants, Catering, Hotels, Healthcare, Sporting Venues and/or Military operations.
- Experience working in a large-scale manufacturing plant or warehouse.
- Flexible work schedule, as our facilities are 24/7 operations
- Ability to work in noisy environment with various climates.
- Willing to work with inmates.
- Must have knowledge of Basic Food Handling practices and sanitation requirements.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education Requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Two (2) years of experience in food preparation for a large, institutional establishment such as military, correctional or educational facility.
- Education & Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
CJ2542 Institution Food Steward
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$23.14 - $33.78
Department of Safety
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here