OVERVIEWDue to an ongoing demand to recruit for this position, this position will be continually open to fill vacancies throughout the year as needed by the department. Applicants will be screened on a continuous basis and interviews will be conducted when a valid applicant pool has been established. Once interviews have been completed, passing scores will be utilized to establish a hiring register.
Hiring registers are valid for only six months.
Kitsap County Public Works Kitsap County Public WorksDepartmentisdedicated tomakingour communities better and safer places to live, work, and play.
Public Works prepares for Board approval the Six Year Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) and Annual Construction Program.The purpose of the TIP is to update and coordinate the County's future plans for road and transportation improvements. For more information click on this link: http://www.kitsapgov.com/pw/sixyear_tip.htm Important Information
This posting is to establish a register for M & O Specialist positions within the Public Works Roads Division for the next six months (the register may be extended up to one year upon the Public Works Director's request).Position Overview
Under the direction of the assigned supervisor, the incumbent performs skilled, semi-skilled, and manual work in the maintenance and construction of County roads and bridges for the Kitsap County Public Works Department. The incumbent is progressively responsible for performing a wide variety of heavy physical labor, for driving single and tandem axle trucks to and from designated locations for the purpose of hauling materials, equipment and personnel, and for operating heavy duty or specialized construction equipment. The incumbent may work as part of a crew and/or as an individual performing various road maintenance work.QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSRequired Education and Experience
Required Licenses, Certificates, Examinations/Tests and Other Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED
- Three years of experience in road maintenance and construction, or related work which includesexperience operating heavy road maintenance equipment,and/or tandem axle trucks; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and education which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the work.
Please note: The incumbent is responsible for obtaining and maintaining all of the following required licenses, certifications and other requirements.
Prior to appointment the successful candidate must:
- Pass a medical/physical evaluation, including audiometric testing, conducted in accordance with WAC 296-817-400.
- Pass all job-related examinations/tests necessary to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities, as determined by the hiring authority at time of job posting.
- Submit official transcripts from an accredited college or university if education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications.
- Provide references that demonstrate reliability, a good attendance record and a positive work ethic/attitude
Within30 days of appointment, the successful candidate must:
- Posses CDL permit and medical card.
Within twelve months of appointment, the successful candidate must:
- Possess current Washington State Traffic Flagging certification
- Possess current Washington State Industrial First Aid certification
- Possess current Erosion and Sediment Control certification
Criminal Conviction Standards:
- The successful incumbent must meet the driving requirements of this position and submit a copy a current driving record/abstract (from state of residency) to review for eligibility to drive for Kitsap County prior to employment.The successful incumbent must obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License prior to hire and maintain a satisfactory driving record as outlined in the Kitsap County Vehicle Use Policy. This position is categorized as:
- CDL Driver: Operating County owned vehicles and CDL vehicles. Successful candidate must [have a current or obtain within 12 months of employment] a Washington Class A endorse N or X with air brake restriction removed. Prior to CDL Assignment:
- CDL drivers must submit a driving abstract and a current medical card.
- CDL Drivers in accordance with federal regulations and Kitsap County Drug and Alcohol Policy and Procedures for CDL Drivers, no employee will be allowed to operate CDL vehicles or equipment in this position for Kitsap County until he/she has successfully passed a breath alcohol test and urine drug screening; and enter into a random DOT regulated drug and alcohol testing process.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities (May vary by position)
- The successful incumbent will or may have unsupervised access to children under 18 years of age, a vulnerable adult, or a vulnerable person, or access to a secured/confidential facility or computer system(s). As a result, Kitsap County will be conducting an extensive criminal background check by law enforcement agencies, which may include fingerprinting.
- Please review the following list of disqualifying crimes and negative actions to determine if you meet our standard for this position: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/FSA/bccu/documents/Secretary%27sCrimesListforALLPrograms.pdf
- Standard practices, methods, tools and materials used in road maintenance work.
- The use of hand and power tools used in construction trades.
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions associated with the operation and maintenance of construction equipment including safe lifting techniques.
- Safe operation of commercial vehicles.
- Applicable traffic laws, ordinances, and rules, including proper flagging techniques, proper and safe vehicle operation.
- Proper load distribution in loading vehicles.
- Methods, tools and materials used in maintaining equipment.
- Correct lifting techniques.
Skills and/or Ability to:
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Operate equipment and tools such as commercial and standard motor vehicles, heavy equipment, shovels, rakes, and small tools.
- Apply appropriate safety measures and use of personal protective equipment.
- Appear for scheduled work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Learn and perform a wide variety of manual labor tasks.
- Apply judgment and discretion in resolving problems and interpreting policies and regulations.
- Work independently, as well as part of a team, in the performance of assigned duties.
- Demonstrate sufficient strength, agility and dexterity to perform the work of the position.
- Safely operate and progress in the various types of road equipment, heavy trucks (CDL), and tools.
- Establish and maintain cooperative, effective, and productive working relationships using tact, patience and courtesy with co-workers, supervisors, and the general public.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Accurately document work accomplished, materials incorporated, and equipment utilized.
- Plan and organize work assignments, and to complete them within prescribed timeframes.
- Work all shifts including swing, graveyard, holiday, and weekend.
- Work out of doors for extended periods under unfavorable working and inclement weather conditions.
- Apply the safety precautions associated with the occupational hazards of the work performed.
- Work over 40 hours in a workweek as required including working nights, weekends and holidays.
- Report for duty on time and remain at work until the end of their scheduled shift even if an inclement weather event or emergency is declared as an "Essential Employee" under the Public Works Inclement Weather/Emergency Response policy.
- Respond as required when on stand-by duty. (Note: This position is subject to 24 hour standby duty.)
- Physically perform the essential functions of the position under uncomfortable or adverse conditions.
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Work is performed primarily in the field (outside) for extended periods of time under unfavorable weather conditions: maintaining roads and road rights of way, maintenance yard working with material stockpiles and equipment, and quarry mines processing materials.
- Hazards associated with this work include working in traffic, around construction equipment and while operating hand and power tools including occasional exposure to associated machinery vibration, chemicals, vapors, and dust.
- Positions require traversing rough, undeveloped terrain or construction sites when walking, standing and balancing for extended periods of time such as flagging; exposure to all weather conditions.
- Sitting when operating vehicles or equipment.
- Frequent bending, stooping, and reaching (over shoulders, at waist and below waist).
- Adequate vision sufficient to view gauges and traffic and other signals, to operate equipment and read instructions and plans.
- Hearing sufficient to respond to audible alarms, signals, radio and telephone; speaking adequate to communicate effectively and manual dexterity to grasp/handle equipment and materials.
- Exertion of force of up to 75 lbs. occasionally, and/or up to 35 pounds frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds continually to lift/carry/move objects and to use and operate a variety of power equipment, shovel large quantities of materials, and operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, pavers, dozers and graders.
- Requires use of protective gear such as rain gear, rubber boots, or coveralls, as needed.
Incumbents may be:
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE OF DUTIESExamples of Duties (May vary upon assignment)
- Exposed to other physical hazards out in the field.
- Exposed to potentially hazardous conditions when dealing with disgruntled or hostile individuals.
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Heavy manual labor in the maintenance of County Roads and Bridges, such as digging ditches, cleaning culverts, cutting brush, raking materials, sweeping and operation of small tools such as chain saws, weed eaters, hedge trimmers and plate compactors.
- Operate heavy duty or specialized road construction equipment while in-training, as part of a crew or in isolation, such as: oil distribution truck, dozers, excavators, belt loader, loaders, ditching machines, graders, pavers, rollers, brush cutters, spray trucks, backhoe, rock screen, single axle trucks, tandem axle trucks, snow plow, brine truck, bucket truck, asphalt milling machine, etc.
- Traffic Control Flagging which includes: Flag traffic and place traffic cones and other devices to insure a smooth flow.
- Maintain daily reports of time, equipment usage and material handling.
- Provide on the job training and mentorship to entry level personnel.
- Perform duties of lower classifications as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process.
- This position is classified as eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Covered under a collective bargaining agreement with Council (Operating Engineers 302, Teamsters 589)
- Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.