The Town of Oro Valley Water Utility seeks a highly motivated, hard-working and dependable individual with a strong working knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices as it relates to municipal waterworks.
The Utility's Engineering Division has an opening for a Senior Engineering Associate position. The selected candidate will be a part of a small engineering team that is responsible for administering the Utility's Capital Improvement Program, as well as reviewing and approving plans associated with new development projects. The successful candidate must be proactive, responsive and have the ability to prioritize projects and work independently as well as in groups.
If being part of a winning team, utilizing your education and growing your experience in municipal waterworks sounds interesting to you, then we hope you will apply!
Under the supervision of the Engineering Division Manager, this position performs a variety of professional grade engineering tasks related to evaluation, planning, design, agency coordination and construction management of water infrastructure projects. Performs hydraulic modeling and New Development plan reviews, attends agency meetings related to New Development projects. Exercises initiative, technical expertise and independent judgment in implementing departmental policies and goals and in performing administrative and technical assignments.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Assists the Engineering Division Manager as required.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering and the methods and techniques used in the planning, design and construction of water systems.
- Prepares clear, concise and accurate technical specifications, engineering reports, contract documents, correspondence, construction cost estimates and related materials.
- Communicates effectively with professional, technical and management personnel.
- Assists with the preparation and evaluation of Request for Proposals and Request for Qualifications and the selection of engineering consultants and contractors.
- Reviews and approves engineering designs.
- Evaluates construction bids and cost proposals, provides contract award recommendations to management.
- Administers construction projects by providing shop drawing reviews, answering requests for information, tracking progress, approving payments and providing regular updates and reports on construction progress to management.
- Applies systems analysis techniques & computerized hydraulic modeling applications to water system planning.
- Reviews and verifies plans and specifications for compliance with New Development standards and codes.
- Coordinates with the Legal Department on various development agreements and related legal issues.
- Coordinates projects and timing, as required, with all Town departments.
- Knowledge of and skill in interpreting applicable Town, State and federal statutes, ordinances, codes, rules and regulations governing municipal water works.
- Knowledge of and skill in automated drafting techniques and capabilities (AutoCAD).
- Knowledge of and skill in database management techniques and capabilities.
- Knowledge, experience and skill in water system design and operation.
- Skill in administering construction projects, contract administration and negotiation.
- Skill in understanding and improving the design and construction of water infrastructures.
- Skill in oral and written communication and preparing presentations.
- Skill in using personal computers and Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to read legal descriptions, plats, improvement plans and survey data.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, consultants, contractors and other Town, City, County, State and Federal agencies.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- A Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering related field AND
- Five (5) years of experience in the design and construction of water infrastructures OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess at time of application and maintain a valid Arizona driver license.
Directions for Applying
- Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments.
Please make sure your application is complete by filling in the education and work experience sections of the application.
If you meet the minimum requirements, submit a completed Town of Oro Valley application which can be supplemented with a resume and cover letter.
If you experience any difficulties submitting your application please call 1-855-524-5627 for customer support.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous