The PositionThis recruitment will remain open for six (6) months.
- The third application review period is now closed.
- The fourth review period willconsist of all applications receivedfrom 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 untilTuesday, December 10, 2019.
If you are notified that you have been placed on the eligible list,you do NOT need to reapply and you will remain on the eligible list for the duration of this recruitment.
Variety is the spice of life! Are you seeking to work on a variety of different, interesting smaller and larger projects, including leading-edge building designs? Do you find value in career opportunities that provide work-life balance? As an employer of choice, the City of Portland understands what draws people from other regions to join the "City That Works"!
Portland 's metropolitan population is over two million, yet we maintain strong local neighborhoods and a close connection to nature. One of the few cities nationally that has parks designed for inclusivity, and streets designed for alternative methods of transportation - walking, cycling, and mass transit. With easy access to mountains and beaches, as well as cultural diversity - festivals, food, brews - Portland has a unique footprint. And nationally Portland consistently ranks high as a 'liveable' city.
The Bureau of Development Services is actively recruiting to fill multiple Commercial Plans Examiner vacancies. This position reviews plans of all building types, including residential, for compliance with State building codes and other applicable city and state regulations. Duties include advising design professionals, owners, and builders of minimum code requirements during all phases of design, identifying possible solutions, working with city inter-agency partners, and helping guide applicants through the building permit process as smoothly as possible towards their goals.
Would you like to help the City of Portland GROW? Bring your plan review or building official talent and expertise to the City of Portland as a Commercial Plans Examiner!About Our Job
Commercial Plans Examiners can effectively communicate in person and in writing to a diversity of customers with wide ranges of technical expertise. This position carries out individual responsibilities with initiative, independence and creativity while exercising sound professional judgment and problem-solving skills. This position will also meet the bureau's expectations of providing excellent customer service in an equitable manner to meet the growing needs of the City of Portland's diverse community. Bi-lingual/Bi-cultural candidates are encouraged to apply.Please note:
This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840
and click on the appropriate link.OUR EQUITY COMMITMENT:
The Bureau of Development Services is committed to eliminating racism and all discriminatory practices in our services and in our workplace because we understand the positive value of equitable systems.
Equity: Conditions that allow everyone to flourish so that race, gender, ability and/or other held identities do not determine access or outcomes.To Qualify
A competitive candidate for the position of Commercial Plans Examiner will possess the qualifications/ competencies identified in The Position description above and the knowledge, skills, and abilities in this Ideal Candidate Profile.
Please be sure to provide sufficient information in your responses to the supplemental questions and your resume to display to our subject matter experts the extent of your qualifications.To qualify the candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications:
1. Knowledge of and experience reading, interpreting and applying Oregon Specialty Codes.
2. Demonstrated skill and experience reading and interpreting site, architectural and structural plans.
3. Proven skill and experience explaining technical information and code requirements verbally, in written, and by graphic means.
4. Ability and experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and resolving issues with employees, applicants, builders, designers, and the public, including a diverse population having a wide range of experience and expertise.Applicants must also possess
- An Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) within 60 days after date of hire; and
- A Structural Plans Examiner - A-level (PEA) Certification by the date of hire; and
- An Oregon Residential Plans Examiner (CAX) Certification by the date of hire; and
- An Oregon Fire and Life Safety Plans Examiner (PEF) Certification by the date of hire.
- A valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record may be required for some assignments.
If you have questions about the above required Oregon certifications, visit the State of Oregon Building Code Division Inspector Certifications Pathways website or call (503)378-4133 or email email@example.com
."The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to the supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials notrequested .
Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.Tentative Recruitment Timeline:
IMPORTANT Instructions Applicants must submit a professionalrésuméonline and answer all required supplemental questions, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Posting: 7/15/19 - 1/13/20
- Applications Reviewed: **Multiple Review Periods **
- 8/13/19, 9/10/19, 10/15/19, 11/12/19, 12/10/19, and 1/14/20
- Eligible List: 8/20/19, 9/17/19, 10/22/19, 11/19/19, 12/17/19, 1/21/20
- Selection Phase Begins: First phase TENTATIVELY: 8/31/19
- Job Offer: TENTATIVELY9/9/19
- Yourrésuméand answers to supplemental question will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Yourrésuméshould support the details described in the answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your answers to the supplemental questions any transferable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- For important additional information regarding Veteran's Preference, Notification Periods, and Optional Information Sessions, please see below.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted online,no later than11:59 pm on the closing/application review date listed on this recruitment.
E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
If you are notified that you have been placed on the eligible list,you do NOT need to reapply and will remain on the list.
The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) may fill future vacancies from this recruitment.FOR OPEN CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENTS REQUIRING CERTIFICATIONS
Waiting Period to Reapply
If you apply and do not currently possess the required certifications/licenses for this position, your application will be disqualified and you will need to wait 60 days before reapplying
If you are requestingVeteran's Preference
, attach a copy of yourDD214/DD215and/or Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm on the application review date listed on this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income.The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting an accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named belowno later than the closing date of this announcement. Questions?
Shelonda Simpson, Senior Human Resources Analyst
Bureau of Human ResourcesShelonda.Simpson@portlandoregon.gov
(503) 823-3555 An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer OPTIONAL INFORMATIONAL SESSIONS:
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer Optional Information Sessions that will provide you with details about this position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job, but attending will help you with the application process. You are welcome to join us for one of these optional sessions:Tuesday, July 16, 2019,5:30 - 6:30 pm
Bureau of Development Services/Jacobs Center (formerly CH2M)2020 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201, Lincoln Conference Room
ORTuesday, July 30, 2019, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Bureau of Development Services/Jacobs Center (formerlyCH2M)2020 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201, Lincoln Conference Room
For instructions on how to participate remotely, please contact Sara Flores at(503) 823-5019
nolater than 2:00 pm (PST) two business days prior to theinformational session date.BUREAU SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) promotes safety, livability, and economic vitality through efficient and collaborative application of building and development codes.
Check out the BDS Career Opportunities webpage for valuable resources to assist you during the application process and interviewing stages of the recruitment and hiring process.What We Offer You
The City of Portland is committed to offering medical, dental, vision, basic life, and long-term disability coverage that provides quality care, support and value to eligible employees and their family members. Additional benefits such as flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance,and employee assistance programcoverageisavailable to ensure employees have the appropriate tools to safeguard themselves and their family.The City of Portland also participates inthe Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please clickhere
.ABOUT THE CITY OF PORTLAND:
Lauded as one of the best places to live in America, Portland is a city with a vibrant downtown, diverse neighborhoods, natural beauty, good schools, and friendly people. Home to about 560,000 residents within 145 square miles, Portland maintains deep ties to the Pacific Northwest's natural beauty.
Portland has a reputation for being unique, and our particular structure for governance is no exception. Portland voters adopted the commission form of government in 1913, and over 100 years later, Portland is the only large city in the country continuing to operate under this structure. The five members of the City Council are each elected at large and have legislative, administrative, and quasi-judicial responsibilities. The Mayor assigns bureaus to each Council member.
The City of Portland is a full-service city with approximately 6000 represented and non-represented permanent employees and a budget of over $3.46 billion. The City has maintained its Triple-A bond rating for over 40 years, with strong financial management policies and practices in place.Closing Date/Time: 1/13/2020 11:59 PM Pacific