The Position THE CITY OF RIVERSIDE IS ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE CLASSIFICATION OF UTILITIES POWER LINE TECHNICIAN (JOURNEYMAN/LINEMAN) FOR TWO (2) CURRENT VACANCIES . This recruitment will remain open through October 6, 2019 or until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received; however, candidates are encouraged to apply early in the process for optimal consideration.
City of Riverside Lineman are primarily tasked with system construction and maintenance of the 22,840 power poles, 510 miles of overhead, and 800 miles of underground transmission and distribution electric lines that serve the city's energy customers. This group also provides electrical emergency response and maintains the City's street light system.
Additionally, City of Riverside Linemen, under general supervision, will perform skilled tasks in accordance with standard trade practices in the construction, maintenance, and repair of overhead and underground electrical transmission and distribution systems, and communication systems; and do related work as required.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Construct, maintain and repair overhead and underground electrical distribution and transmission systems including such things as stringing of wire; setting poles and anchors; and installing street lights, capacitor banks, transformers, cutouts, cross arms, switches, and insulators.
- Work in below grade structures to pull, splice, and connect underground cables and other devices and equipment; install single and three phase electric meters.
- Install, maintain, and replace energized transmission and distribution lines and equipment under all weather conditions and at all hours day or night.
- Assist in the in-service training of apprentices; inspect, maintain, and repair electrical street lights.
- May serve as Acting Utilities Electric Supervisor as required.
- Subject to emergency call-out.
Qualifications Recruitment Guidelines:
Education: High school graduation or satisfactory equivalent.
Experience: Applicant must hold a recognized completion certificate from recognized four year program.Necessary Special Requirement
Possession of an appropriate, valid class "A" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
Possession of a current Journeyman Certification in power line work.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental QuestionnaireQualified candidates will be invited to the following assessment dates below: Thursday, August 15, 2019
Thursday, September 12, 2019
Thursday, October 10, 2019
The assessment day will consist of 3 parts:
- A written exam which you must successfully pass in order to proceed to the next 2 assessments
- A performance exam which will include a climbing test and an underground termination.
- A panel interview.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process.This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, medical/physical examination, drug and alcohol test. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.